Last Updated on November 20, 2022 by Lauren Beck
If you’ve ever wondered this, you’re not alone. It’s a common question with a bit of a complicated answer.
On one hand, sweet potatoes will indeed turn brown after cutting when exposed to oxygen, just like any other type of potato will.
However, on the other hand, sweet potatoes contain an enzyme that prevents them from browning as quickly as other potatoes. So, while they will eventually turn brown, it will take longer than with other types of potatoes.
Why Do Sweet Potatoes Turn Brown?
As we mentioned, sweet potatoes will turn brown because of the enzyme they contain. This enzyme is called polyphenol oxidase (PPO).
When a potato is cut, the PPO comes into contact with oxygen and causes the potato to turn brown.
The same thing happens with apples, bananas, and avocados when they’re cut open and exposed to air.
Tips to Keep Your Sweet Potatoes From Turning Brown
Here are a few tips to help keep your sweet potatoes from turning brown:
- Cut them just before you’re ready to cook them. If you cut them ahead of time, put them in a bowl of water until you’re ready to use them.
- Cook them immediately after cutting. This will help to prevent the PPO from coming into contact with oxygen.
- Brush them with lemon juice, vinegar, or another acid. This will help to create a barrier between the potato and the oxygen.
- Store them in the fridge. This will slow down the browning process.
- Cover them with foil or plastic wrap. This will also help to keep the oxygen from coming into contact with the potato.
Can You Peel Potatoes Ahead of Time?
If you’re looking to save some time, you might be wondering if you can peel potatoes ahead of time. Unfortunately, this isn’t a good idea.
When potatoes are peeled, they’re exposed to oxygen and will start to turn brown. So, it’s best to wait until you’re ready to cook them before peeling them.
What To Do If Your Sweet Potatoes Go Brown?
If your sweet potatoes have already turned brown, there’s no need to worry. They’re still safe to eat.
You can simply cut off the brown parts and cook the potato as you normally would.
If Sweet Potatoes Turn Brown, Can I Still Eat Them?
Yes, you can still eat sweet potatoes even if they’ve turned brown. The browning is purely cosmetic and doesn’t affect the taste or safety of the potato. Just cut off the brown parts and enjoy them as you normally would.
How to Tell If Your Sweet Potatoes Are Bad?
Here are a few signs that your sweet potatoes have gone bad and should be thrown out:
- They’re soft or mushy.
- They have black spots on them.
- The skin is wrinkled or discolored.
- They have a sour smell.
If you notice any of these signs, it’s best to throw out the sweet potatoes.
How to Pick a Good Sweet Potato?
When you’re at the store, there are a few things you can look for to make sure you’re getting a good sweet potato:
- Look for ones that are firm and free of blemishes.
- They should be free of any green spots, which indicate they were picked too early.
- The skin should be smooth, not wrinkled.
- The potato should be heavy for its size.
Now that you know all about sweet potatoes, we hope you’ll give them a try! They make a delicious and healthy addition to any meal.
Ways to Store Sweet Potatoes
Sweet potatoes can be stored in a cool, dark place for up to two weeks. If you want to store them for longer, you can keep them in the fridge for up to three months. You can also freeze sweet potatoes for up to six months.
When it comes to storing sweet potatoes, there are a few things you should keep in mind:
- Make sure they’re stored in a cool, dark place.
- Keep them away from other fruits and vegetables.
- Don’t store them in the fridge or freezer for too long.
Can I Freeze My Cooked Sweet Potatoes?
Yes, you can freeze your cooked sweet potatoes. Just make sure they’re cooled completely before freezing. You can freeze them whole, in slices, or as puree.
Should You Keep Sweet Potato Peels?
You can keep sweet potato peels if you want. They’re a good source of fiber, so they can be beneficial to your diet . However, some people prefer to peel their sweet potatoes before cooking them. If you do decide to keep the peels, just make sure you wash them thoroughly first.
So, will sweet potatoes turn brown after cutting? Yes, they will. But, there are a few things you can do to help prevent it. And, even if they do turn brown, they’re still safe to eat. Just cut off the brown parts and enjoy them as you normally would. Thanks for reading! We hope this article was helpful.