Last Updated on October 5, 2022 by Lauren Beck
One of the most popular restaurant chains in the world is named for its founder. Can you guess which one?
The answer is McDonald’s! The fast food giant was founded by brothers Dick and Mac McDonald in 1940. The name of the restaurant comes from their last name.
Today, McDonald’s is one of the most recognizable brands in the world. It has over 36,000 locations in more than 100 countries. And it shows no signs of slowing down – in 2017, it was ranked as the 9th most valuable brand in the world by Forbes .
How do famous fast-food chains get their names?
Here are some more interesting facts about how some of the world’s most popular restaurant chains got their names:
- Burger King was originally founded as Insta-Burger King in 1953. The name was changed to Burger King in 1955.
- The first Wendy’s restaurant opened in 1969. The chain was named after the nickname of founder Dave Thomas’ daughter, Melinda Lou “Wendy” Thomas.
- Taco Bell was founded in 1962 by Glen Bell. The name comes from the combination of tacos and bell peppers.
- KFC (formerly Kentucky Fried Chicken) was founded by Colonel Harland Sanders in 1952. The “Kentucky” part of the name refers to Sanders’ home state.
- Pizza Hut was founded in 1958 by brothers Dan and Frank Carney. The name of the restaurant comes from the fact that it was originally intended to be a pizza parlor.
The next time you’re enjoying a meal at one of these popular restaurant chains, you’ll know a little bit more about where their names came from.
What is the world’s first restaurant chain?
The first restaurant chain is believed to be the White Castle hamburger chain. It was founded in 1921 by Walter Anderson and E.W. Ingram. The first White Castle location was in Wichita, Kansas. The chain gets its name from the white building that housed the original restaurant.
Who is the founder of fast food chain?
There is no one definitive answer to this question. However, some of the most popular fast food chains were founded by entrepreneurs such as Colonel Harland Sanders (KFC), Dave Thomas (Wendy’s), and Glen Bell (Taco Bell).
Who came first McDonald’s or Burger King?
McDonald’s was founded in 1940, while Burger King was founded in 1953. Therefore, McDonald’s came first. However, Burger King is the second-largest fast food chain in the world, behind McDonald’s.
Who founded McDonald’s?
McDonald’s was founded by brothers Maurice “Mac” and Richard McDonald in 1940. The original restaurant was located in San Bernardino, California. The chain is now the world’s largest fast food restaurant chain, with over 36,000 locations in more than 100 countries.
The current owner of McDonald’s is the Brazilian holding company 3G Capital. However, the McDonald’s Corporation is a publicly traded company, so it is owned by shareholders.
How did McDonald’s get its name?
The McDonald’s brothers originally named their restaurant “McDonald’s Bar-B-Que.” However, they eventually shortened the name to simply “McDonald’s.” The golden arches of the McDonald’s logo are meant to resemble the letter M, for “McDonald’s.”
What is the oldest pizza chain?
The oldest pizza chain is believed to be Antica Pizzeria, which was founded in Naples, Italy in 1760. However, the first pizzeria in the United States was Lombardi’s, which opened in 1905.
What came first grilled cheese or burger?
There is no definitive answer to this question. However, it is believed that the grilled cheese sandwich was invented in the 1920s, while the hamburger was invented in the late 19th century. Therefore, the grilled cheese sandwich came first.
As you can see, there is a lot that goes into the naming of a restaurant chain. From the founder’s name to the location of the first store, every detail has a story behind it. The next time you’re enjoying a meal at your favorite fast food restaurant, take a moment to think about the history and meaning behind its name.
- Church’s Fried Chicken Menu & Prices - March 31, 2023
- What to Get At Raising Cane’s? - March 31, 2023
- Are Acorns Edible for Humans? - March 31, 2023