Last Updated on December 18, 2022 by Lauren Beck
If you’re a fan of spicy food, you might be wondering what the absolute spiciest chili pepper is in the world. The answer? It depends on what measure you use to determine what’s considered “hot”.
The most commonly used measurement to gauge how hot a chili pepper is, is its Scoville Heat Unit (SHU) rating. This is a measure of capsaicin concentration, which is what makes some peppers fiery-hot. It’s estimated that the average jalapeño pepper measures anywhere from 2,500 to 8,000 SHUs on the Scoville scale.
The current record holder for hottest pepper on record is the Carolina Reaper, developed by PuckerButt Pepper Company in South Carolina. It measures an impressive 1.5 million SHUs on the Scoville scale, making it 200 times hotter than a jalapeño. Other top contenders for hottest pepper include the Trinidad Moruga Scorpion, the Bhut Jolokia, and the Infinity Chili.
Are There Peppers Hotter Than the Carolina Reaper?
It’s possible that there are other varieties of peppers out there that measure even higher than the Carolina Reaper in terms of their SHU ranking. However, as of right now, the Carolina Reaper is what’s considered the hottest chili pepper in the world.
Top 10 Hottest Peppers In The World
Here’s what the top 10 record-breakingly hot peppers look like, ranked in order of their Scoville Heat Unit (SHU) rating
- Carolina Reaper – This pepper, developed by PuckerButt Pepper Company in South Carolina, measures 1.5 million SHUs on the Scoville scale
- Trinidad Moruga Scorpion – This pepper measures up to 2 million SHUs
- Bhut Jolokia – Also known as the ghost pepper, this chili packs a whopping 1 million SHUs
- 7 Pot Douglah – This pepper is actually a variation of the Trinidad Moruga Scorpion and measures up to 1.8 million SHUs
- Infinity Chili – An extremely rare variety developed in England, this one clocks in at 1 million SHUs
- Naga Viper -This chili packs an astonishing 1.3 million SHUs
- 7 Pot Primo – This one measures 1.2 million SHUs
- Trinidad Scorpion Butch T – With a rating of 1.2 million SHUs, this pepper is another variation of the Trinidad Moruga Scorpion
- Red Savina Habanero – The hottest habanero on record, this one reaches 580,000 SHUs
- Komodo Dragon – This pepper measures up to 1.4 million SHUs
Can You Eat the World’s Hottest Pepper?
It’s not recommended that you eat the world’s hottest chili pepper unless you have a great deal of experience with eating spicy food. Even if you do, make sure to take precautions, such as wearing gloves and avoiding contact with your eyes or skin. If you do decide to take the plunge, try starting out with just a tiny pinch and build up your tolerance from there.
How Do You Measure How Hot a Pepper Is?
The Scoville Scale is what’s used to measure a pepper’s spiciness. It was developed by Wilbur Scoville in 1912 and is based on the amount of capsaicin present in the pepper. The higher the SHU rating, the hotter the pepper will be.
Best Places To Buy Hot Pepper Seeds
If you’re looking for hot pepper seeds, the internet is a great place to start. You can find many reputable sellers online who specialize in selling rare varieties of chili peppers. Alternatively, if you know someone who grows their own chilis, they might be able to provide you with some seeds. There are also local farmers markets or small nurseries that may carry some of the more common types of pepper seeds.
What Is the Most Flavorful Chili Pepper?
The most flavorful chili pepper really depends on what type of flavor you’re looking for. Some peppers, like jalapeños and habaneros, carry a lot of heat but also have a good amount of flavor. Other varieties may be milder in terms of their spiciness but can still offer a great depth of flavor, such as Anaheim peppers or poblano peppers. Ultimately, the best way to figure out what type of pepper you like most is to experiment with different types and find the one that suits your taste buds.
Which Chili Pepper Is Healthiest?
Generally speaking, all types of chili peppers are packed with nutrients and offer numerous health benefits. However, some peppers may be healthier than others when it comes to certain vitamins and minerals. For example, jalapeños contain more vitamin C than other peppers while Anaheim peppers boast a higher amount of vitamin A . When it comes to overall nutritional value, however, the healthiest option will be a variety of different peppers so that you can get a good amount of all the essential vitamins and minerals.
So what’s the hottest chili pepper in the world? The Carolina Reaper takes the cake with its 1.5 million SHU rating. But what about flavor and nutrition? When it comes to those two factors, it really depends on what type of pepper you’re looking for and what type of flavor profile you prefer. Ultimately, experimenting with different types of chili peppers is the best way to find what’s perfect for you. So get out there and start trying some new chilis! You never know what you might discover.
- 8 Best Jack In The Box Sauces To Try (2023 Updated) - June 2, 2023
- Does Chick Fil a Soak Their Chicken in Pickle Juice? - June 2, 2023
- Longhorn Steakhouse Catering Menu & Prices - June 2, 2023