Last Updated on February 9, 2023 by Lauren Beck
Yogurt is a popular food item that can be enjoyed in a variety of ways. Whether you prefer it plain or with toppings, yogurt is a healthy and versatile option that can be customized to your liking.
In this article, we’ll explore what are the best toppings to put on yogurt, the benefits of yogurt, and tips for making and sweetening yogurt at home.
What Is Yogurt?
Yogurt is a dairy product that is made by fermenting milk with bacteria. The bacteria used to make yogurt are called “lactobacillus bulgaricus” and “streptococcus thermophilus.” The process of fermentation turns lactose, the sugar found in milk, into lactic acid. This results in a tangy and creamy product that is high in protein and calcium.
The Benefits of Yogurt:
- Good source of calcium and protein
- Contains probiotics that help support digestive health
- Can help regulate blood sugar levels
- May boost the immune system
- Can improve bone health
- May aid in weight management
20 Best Yogurt Toppings:
- Fresh or dried fruit
- Honey or other natural sweeteners
- Nuts and seeds
- Granola or cereal
- Coconut flakes
- Chocolate chips
- Peanut or almond butter
- Fresh mint leaves
- Chocolate or vanilla syrup
- Coconut yogurt
- Trail mix
- Dark chocolate shavings
- Yogurt-covered raisins or other dried fruits
- Caramel sauce
- Crushed cookies or graham crackers
- Whipped cream
- Peanut powder or peanut butter powder
- Dried coconut chips
How To Make Yogurt?
Making yogurt at home is surprisingly simple and allows you to control the ingredients and sweetness level. Here’s a basic recipe:
- Heat 4 cups of milk (cow’s milk, goat’s milk, or coconut milk) in a saucepan over medium heat until it reaches between 180°F and 185°F.
- Remove the milk from heat and let it cool to between 110°F and 115°F.
- Mix in 2 tablespoons of plain yogurt with live and active cultures.
- Pour the mixture into jars and place them in a warm location (such as a slow cooker set on low with a lid or a heating pad set to low) for 6-12 hours.
- The longer it sits, the tangier it will become.
- Store the yogurt in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.
What Is the Difference Between Plain Yogurt and Greek Yogurt?
Plain yogurt is the traditional, tangy yogurt that is usually found in most grocery stores. It has a creamy texture and is lower in fat than other dairy products. Greek yogurt, on the other hand, is strained to remove most of the whey, resulting in a thicker, creamier product. Greek yogurt is also higher in protein and lower in carbohydrates than plain yogurt.
Do I Have to Use Greek Yogurt?
No, you do not have to use Greek yogurt. The choice of plain or Greek yogurt is entirely up to personal preference. If you’re looking for a thicker, creamier texture, Greek yogurt might be the better choice. If you prefer a tangier, thinner yogurt, then plain yogurt is the way to go.
Can I Use These on Frozen Yogurt?
Yes, many of these toppings can also be used on frozen yogurt. Some popular toppings for frozen yogurt include fresh fruit, nuts, sprinkles, and drizzles of chocolate or caramel sauce.
Can You Put Chia Seeds In Yogurt?
Yes, chia seeds can be added to yogurt. Chia seeds are a great source of fiber, protein, and healthy fats. They can be mixed into the yogurt or sprinkled on top as a topping.
How Do You Sweeten Yogurt Naturally?
There are several natural ways to sweeten yogurt, including:
- Maple syrup
- Agave nectar
- Fresh or dried fruit
- Stevia or other natural sweeteners
How Do You Sweeten Plain Greek Yogurt?
Sweetening plain Greek yogurt can be accomplished using the same methods as sweetening regular yogurt. However, since Greek yogurt is tangier, you may want to add more sweetener to reach the desired level of sweetness.
What Spices Go Well With Greek Yogurt?
There are several spices that pair well with Greek yogurt, including:
- Vanilla extract
Yogurt is a versatile and nutritious food  that can be enjoyed in a variety of ways. Whether you prefer it sweet or savory, with fruit or spices, there are countless options for what to put on yogurt. With the 20 best yogurt toppings listed above, you should have no trouble finding the perfect combination for you. From fresh fruit and granola, to nuts and honey, the options are endless. If you’re looking for a healthy and delicious snack or meal, yogurt is a great choice. With its many benefits, including probiotics, protein, and calcium, it’s no wonder that yogurt is a staple in so many people’s diets. Whether you prefer plain or Greek yogurt, make sure to have fun experimenting with different toppings to find your favorite combination!