Last Updated on March 18, 2023 by Lauren Beck
Toast is a beloved breakfast food that has been around for centuries. Whether you like it plain or loaded with toppings, it’s a quick and easy breakfast option that can be enjoyed in countless ways.
In this article, we’ll explore some delicious toast toppings, discuss the best bread to use for toast, and answer some common questions about the health benefits of toast.
12 Toast Toppings You Need To Try:
- Avocado Toast – mashed avocado, lemon juice, and a pinch of salt.
- Nut Butter and Banana Toast – peanut butter or almond butter topped with sliced bananas.
- Greek Yogurt and Berry Toast – plain Greek yogurt topped with fresh berries and a drizzle of honey.
- Egg and Avocado Toast – scrambled or fried egg topped with sliced avocado.
- Hummus and Veggie Toast – hummus topped with sliced cucumbers, tomatoes, and red onions.
- Cream Cheese and Smoked Salmon Toast – cream cheese topped with smoked salmon, capers, and fresh dill.
- Tomato and Mozzarella Toast – sliced tomatoes and fresh mozzarella topped with basil and a drizzle of olive oil.
- Cottage Cheese and Fruit Toast – cottage cheese topped with fresh berries and a drizzle of honey.
- Bacon and Egg Toast – scrambled or fried egg topped with crispy bacon.
- Almond Butter and Jelly Toast – almond butter topped with your favorite jelly or jam.
- Ricotta and Honey Toast – ricotta cheese topped with sliced peaches and a drizzle of honey.
- Cinnamon and Sugar Toast – buttered toast sprinkled with cinnamon and sugar.
What Is the Best Bread to Use for Toast?
The best bread for toast is one that is dense and can hold up to toasting without becoming too crumbly or falling apart. Some good options include:
- Sourdough bread – has a tangy flavor and a dense texture that makes it great for toasting.
- Whole grain bread – made with whole grains, which are high in fiber and other nutrients.
- Rye bread – has a distinctive flavor and a dense texture that holds up well to toasting.
- English muffins – have a dense texture and are perfect for toasting and topping with your favorite ingredients.
Is Toast a Good Breakfast Option?
Toast can be a good breakfast option, especially when topped with healthy ingredients like fresh fruit, nut butter, or avocado.
However, it’s important to remember that toast alone is not a complete meal and should be paired with other foods like protein and healthy fats to make it more balanced.
Is Toasted Bread Healthy?
Toasted bread itself is not necessarily healthy or unhealthy, but the type of bread you choose can impact its nutritional value.
Whole grain bread is a better choice than white bread because it is higher in fiber and other important nutrients. Additionally, the toppings you choose can impact the healthfulness of your toast.
Adding fresh fruits, vegetables, or nuts can increase the nutritional value, while adding sugary spreads or processed meats can detract from its health benefits.
What Can I Eat Instead of Toast?
If you’re looking for a healthy breakfast option but don’t want to eat toast, there are plenty of other options to choose from. Some ideas include:
- Greek yogurt with fresh fruit and nuts.
- Oatmeal with berries, nuts, and a drizzle of honey.
- Smoothie bowl with blended fruit, yogurt, and toppings like granola or chia seeds.
- Scrambled eggs with veggies and whole grain toast.
- Breakfast burrito with scrambled eggs, beans, and avocado.
How to Make Breakfast Toast?
Making breakfast toast is simple and easy, and can be customized to your preferences . Here’s a basic recipe to get you started:
- Choose your bread – select a slice of bread that will hold up to toasting without becoming too crumbly or falling apart.
- Toast the bread – place the bread in a toaster or toaster oven and cook until it reaches your desired level of doneness.
- Choose your toppings – select your favorite toppings and prepare them as needed.
- Add your toppings – layer your toppings on top of the toast in the desired order.
- Enjoy! – eat your delicious breakfast toast and savor the flavors.
Toast is a versatile breakfast option that can be enjoyed in countless ways. Whether you like it plain or loaded with toppings, there’s a toast recipe out there for everyone. By choosing the right bread and topping it with healthy ingredients, toast can be a nutritious and delicious addition to your breakfast routine. But if you’re looking for something different, there are plenty of other healthy breakfast options to choose from as well.