Last Updated on April 28, 2023 by Lauren Beck
If you’ve ever eaten at a halal food cart or truck, you’re probably familiar with the white sauce that’s often served alongside the meat and rice. It’s a creamy, tangy sauce that adds a delicious flavor to the dish.
But have you ever wondered what this sauce is called or how it’s made? In this article, we’ll answer all your questions about halal white sauce.
What Is the White Sauce on Halal Food Called?
The white sauce on halal food is often called halal cart white sauce. It’s a creamy, tangy sauce that’s a staple of halal food carts and trucks in New York City and other urban areas.
What is Halal Cart White Sauce?
Halal cart white sauce is a condiment that’s typically served on top of halal meat, rice, and salad. It’s a combination of creamy, tangy, and slightly spicy flavors that complement the savory flavors of halal meat.
What Is Halal White Sauce Made Of?
The traditional recipe for halal white sauce includes the following ingredients:
- Mayonnaise: Provides a creamy base for the sauce.
- Sour cream: Adds tanginess to the sauce.
- Yogurt: Helps to balance the flavors and add a slightly sour taste.
- White vinegar: Adds a tangy flavor to the sauce.
- Lemon juice: Adds a citrusy flavor to the sauce.
- Garlic: Provides a pungent and slightly spicy flavor.
- Salt: Enhances the flavors of the other ingredients.
- Black pepper: Adds a subtle spice to the sauce.
How To Make Halal Cart White Sauce?
Here’s how you can make halal cart white sauce at home:
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Whisk together the mayonnaise, sour cream, and yogurt in a medium bowl until smooth.
- Add the white vinegar, lemon juice, minced garlic, salt, and black pepper. Whisk until well combined.
- Cover the bowl and refrigerate the sauce for at least 1 hour to allow the flavors to meld.
- Serve the sauce alongside halal meat, rice, or salad.
Tips for Making Halal Cart White Sauce
- Use full-fat sour cream and yogurt for the creamiest, tangiest sauce.
- Adjust the amount of garlic to your taste.
- You can add a pinch of cayenne pepper or hot sauce for a spicier sauce.
What Does Halal White Sauce Taste Like?
Halal white sauce has a creamy, tangy, and slightly spicy flavor. It’s a balance of tanginess from the sour cream and yogurt, creaminess from the mayonnaise, and a slightly spicy kick from the garlic and black pepper.
How to Store Halal White Sauce?
Halal white sauce should be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator. It will keep for up to one week.
Can I Swap the Sour Cream for Greek Yogurt?
Yes, you can substitute Greek yogurt for sour cream in halal white sauce. This will make the sauce slightly tangier and healthier, as Greek yogurt is lower in fat and calories than sour cream .
Halal cart white sauce is a creamy and tangy sauce that adds a delicious flavor to halal food. It’s made with mayonnaise, sour cream, yogurt, white vinegar, lemon juice, garlic, salt, and black pepper. You can adjust the amount of garlic and add a pinch of cayenne pepper or hot sauce for a spicier sauce. The sauce should be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator and can be kept for up to one week. You can substitute Greek yogurt for sour cream if you prefer a healthier option. Now that you know what halal white sauce is and how to make it, you can enjoy this delicious condiment at home!