Last Updated on December 16, 2022 by Lauren Beck
If you’re wondering what is open on Christmas Day for food, the answer depends on where you live. Some restaurants may be open for limited hours, or offer special menus or take-out only. Grocery stores and convenience stores will most likely be open but with reduced hours; however, some smaller independent stores might not be open at all.
17 Restaurants Open on Christmas Day
Many larger chain restaurants are open on Christmas Day, although hours may be limited. Here is a list of some of the most popular national chains that are open:
- Applebee’s: Celebrate Christmas with classic American food and cocktails. Hours vary, but most locations open at 11 or 12 pm and close at 8 or 9 pm
- Cracker Barrel: Enjoy a traditional homestyle meal on Christmas Day. Most restaurants are open from 10 am to 8 pm
- Denny’s: Get breakfast 24/7 – even on Christmas Day! Select locations are open all night long.
- IHOP: See what’s on the menu at your local IHOP. Hours vary, but some locations will be open from 10 am to 10 pm or 11 pm
- McDonald’s: Enjoy a classic burger and fries this holiday season. Most locations are open 24 hours a day.
- Olive Garden: Indulge in Italian-American favorites. Most restaurants are open from 11 am to 10 pm, but hours may vary based on location.
- Outback Steakhouse: Get your steak fix with an Aussie twist. Hours vary, but some locations will be open from 11 am to 9 pm.
- Pizza Hut: Get your pie delivered or pick it up yourself. Most locations are open from 11 am to 8 pm.
- Starbucks: Start your Christmas day off with a cup of joe. Hours vary, but many locations open at 6 am and close at 10 pm.
- Waffle House: Enjoy breakfast classics like pancakes and waffles. Most locations will be open 24 hours.
- Benihana: Get a taste of Japanese cuisine. Hours vary, but some locations will be open from 11 am to 8 pm.
- Boston Market: Enjoy rotisserie chicken and other homestyle favorites. Most locations are open from 10:30 am to 7 pm.
- Chili’s Grill & Bar: Get your Tex-Mex fix here. Most locations are open from 11 am to 10 pm.
- Chipotle: Get burritos, tacos and more. Hours vary, but some locations will be open from 11 am to 9 pm.
- Dickey’s Barbecue Pit: Enjoy a smokehouse feast on Christmas Day. Most locations are open from 11 am to 8 pm.
- Dunkin’ Donuts: Get your caffeine fix here. Hours vary, but many locations are open from 5 am to 10 pm.
- Golden Corral: Feast on an all-you-can-eat buffet. Hours vary, but some locations will be open from 11 am to 8 pm.
It’s always a good idea to call ahead and check the hours for your local restaurant or store before heading out on Christmas Day!
Restaurants Closed on Christmas Day
Keep in mind that not all restaurants will be open on Christmas Day, especially smaller independent restaurants or those located in small towns. Other restaurant chains that are typically closed on December 25 include Buffalo Wild Wings, Burger King, KFC, Panda Express and Subway.
What Food to Eat on Christmas?
If you’re looking for what to eat on Christmas Day, there are plenty of options. Traditional holiday dishes include roast turkey, ham or prime rib with roasted vegetables and potatoes, as well as stuffing and gravy. For dessert, try classic pies like pumpkin or apple – or other festive treats like Christmas cookies and eggnog. You can also pick up pre-made meals from your local grocery store or order takeout from one of the restaurants open on Christmas Day.
What Is the Most Popular Food for Christmas Dinner?
Here are some of the most popular Christmas dinner recipes :
- Roast turkey
- Prime rib
- Mashed potatoes
- Cranberry sauce or relish
- Roasted vegetables, such as Brussels sprouts, carrots and parsnips
- Pumpkin or apple pie
- Gingerbread cookies
- Candy canes
These are just some of the many delicious dishes you can enjoy on Christmas Day. Feel free to get creative and make your own variations on classic holiday recipes – or pick up pre-made meals from your local grocery store.
What Is the Least Popular Christmas Food?
The least popular Christmas food varies depending on what you like, but some of the most common dishes that aren’t usually enjoyed as part of a traditional holiday meal include
- Brussels sprouts
- Pigs in blankets
- Green bean casserole
No matter what you’re in the mood for, there are plenty of restaurants and stores open on Christmas Day to help make your holiday meal special. Be sure to call ahead and check the hours for your local spot before heading out, and enjoy a delicious feast with friends and family!