Last Updated on March 22, 2023 by Lauren Beck
Pizza is a popular food that is loved by many around the world. While the traditional New York-style pizza and Chicago deep-dish pizza are well-known, there is another type of pizza that is gaining popularity – the Detroit style pizza.
In this article, we will explore what makes Detroit style pizza unique, how it is made, and where to find the best places to enjoy it.
What Is a Detroit Style Pizza?
Detroit style pizza is a rectangular-shaped pizza that has a crispy and chewy crust, a generous amount of toppings, and a unique sauce-to-cheese ratio.
It is baked in a special blue steel pan that gives it a crispy crust and a caramelized cheese edge. The pizza is often cut into squares or rectangles, making it perfect for sharing.
Who Invented Detroit Style Pizza?
While the origin of Detroit style pizza is not clear, it is believed to have been created in the 1940s or 1950s by a couple of Detroit-based pizzerias .
The pizza was originally made with leftover dough that was baked in blue steel automotive parts trays, which were readily available in the city’s factories.
How to Eat Detroit-Style Pizza?
Detroit style pizza is best eaten with your hands, just like any other pizza. It is often cut into small squares or rectangles, making it perfect for sharing with friends and family. You can also pair it with your favorite dipping sauces, such as ranch or marinara.
What Makes Detroit-Style Pizza Different?
There are a few key factors that make Detroit style pizza different from other types of pizza:
- Crispy and Chewy Crust: The crust of Detroit style pizza is crispy on the outside and chewy on the inside, thanks to the high hydration dough that is used.
- Unique Sauce-to-Cheese Ratio: Detroit style pizza has a unique sauce-to-cheese ratio, with the sauce being placed on top of the cheese. This creates a caramelized cheese edge that adds to the pizza’s flavor and texture.
- Baked in a Blue Steel Pan: Detroit style pizza is baked in a special blue steel pan that gives it a crispy crust and a caramelized cheese edge.
Where Are The Best Places To Enjoy Detroit Style Pizza?
Detroit style pizza is gaining popularity across the country, and there are many places where you can enjoy it. Here are some of the best places to try Detroit style pizza:
- Buddy’s Pizza: Buddy’s Pizza is credited with creating the original Detroit style pizza. The restaurant has been serving up delicious pies since 1946, and it remains one of the best places to enjoy Detroit style pizza.
- Loui’s Pizza: Located in Hazel Park, Michigan, Loui’s Pizza is known for its thick and crispy crust and delicious toppings.
- Emmy Squared: Emmy Squared is a Brooklyn-based pizzeria that specializes in Detroit style pizza. The restaurant has been praised for its unique toppings and creative flavor combinations.
How Is Detroit-Style Pizza Different From Other Types of Pizza?
Detroit style pizza is different from other types of pizza in several ways:
- Shape: Detroit style pizza is rectangular in shape, while most other types of pizza are round.
- Toppings: Detroit style pizza often has a generous amount of toppings, which are placed on top of the cheese.
- Crust: The crust of Detroit style pizza is crispy on the outside and chewy on the inside, thanks to the high hydration dough that is used.
How To Make Detroit Style Pizza?
If you want to make Detroit style pizza at home, here’s how:
- Make the Dough: Use a high hydration dough recipe to create a crispy and chewy crust.
- Prepare the Toppings: Choose your favorite toppings and prepare them for the pizza.
- Preheat the Oven: Preheat your oven to 500°F and place a blue steel pan in the oven to heat up.
- Stretch the Dough: Stretch the dough to fit the pan, making sure to press it up against the edges to create a crust.
- Add the Toppings: Add your toppings, making sure to distribute them evenly.
- Add the Sauce: Spoon the sauce on top of the cheese, leaving a small border around the edges.
- Bake the Pizza: Bake the pizza for 10-12 minutes, or until the crust is golden brown and the cheese is melted and bubbly.
Does Detroit Pizza Have Sauce on Top?
Yes, Detroit style pizza has sauce on top of the cheese, which creates a caramelized cheese edge and a unique flavor and texture.
What Toppings Go Best on Detroit Pizza?
Detroit style pizza is a versatile pizza that can be topped with a variety of ingredients. Here are some of the best toppings for Detroit style pizza:
- Pepperoni: Classic and delicious, pepperoni is a popular topping for Detroit style pizza.
- Sausage: Another classic topping, sausage pairs well with the crispy and chewy crust of Detroit style pizza.
- Mushrooms: Mushrooms add a rich, earthy flavor to the pizza.
- Bell Peppers: Bell peppers add a sweet and crunchy texture to the pizza.
- Onions: Onions add a savory and slightly sweet flavor to the pizza.
Detroit style pizza is a unique and delicious type of pizza that is gaining popularity across the country. Its crispy and chewy crust, unique sauce-to-cheese ratio, and generous toppings make it a favorite among pizza lovers. Whether you want to try it at a local pizzeria or make it at home, Detroit style pizza is definitely worth a try.