Last Updated on April 5, 2023 by Lauren Beck
Are you familiar with the term “well drinks” when it comes to ordering at a bar or restaurant? While you may have heard the term before, you might not be entirely sure what it means.
In this article, we will explore the world of well drinks, including what they are, why they’re called “well drinks,” and how they can benefit your restaurant or bar. So let’s raise a glass and dive in!
What Is a Well Drink?
A well drink is a mixed drink made with a non-premium spirit or liquor. These drinks are typically made with the house or well liquor, which is the most basic and affordable option available.
Well drinks are commonly found on menus at bars and restaurants and are often the most affordable option for customers.
Why Is It Called a Well Drink?
The term “well drink” originates from the location of the cheapest and most accessible liquors at a bar or restaurant, which is typically in the well or speed rail.
The well is a designated area behind the bar where the most frequently used liquors are stored for easy access, and the term “well drink” refers to any drink made using these liquors.
Examples of Well Drinks
Here are some common examples of well drinks:
- Gin and tonic
- Rum and Coke
- Vodka tonic
- Whiskey and soda
- Long Island Iced Tea
The Benefits of Well Drinks To Your Restaurant
There are several benefits to including well drinks on your menu as a restaurant or bar owner:
- Affordability: Well drinks are typically the most affordable option available, making them a popular choice for customers who want to save money.
- Consistency: Since well liquors are the most commonly used, they are often more consistent in quality and taste than other, more expensive options.
- Easy to make: Well drinks are often simple and straightforward to make, which means that bartenders can quickly serve them during busy periods.
- Customer satisfaction: Offering well drinks on your menu gives customers the option to choose affordable drinks that they are familiar with and enjoy.
How to Improve Your Well Drinks?
While well drinks are often basic and straightforward, there are several ways to improve the quality and taste of these drinks:
- Use fresh ingredients: Using fresh ingredients, like freshly squeezed juice or real fruit, can elevate the taste and quality of your well drinks.
- Experiment with different mixers: Trying out different mixers can add variety and interest to your well drinks. Consider using flavored sodas or mixers to add unique flavors.
- Upgrade your garnishes: Adding fresh fruit or unique garnishes, like herbs or edible flowers, can make your well drinks more visually appealing and exciting.
What Qualifies As a Well Drink?
There is no specific definition of what qualifies as a well drink, as it can vary from bar to bar. However, well drinks are typically made with the most basic and affordable liquors available at a bar.
Is a Well Drink a Mixed Drink?
Yes, a well drink is a mixed drink made with a non-premium liquor. These drinks are typically made with a combination of the well or house liquor and mixers like soda, juice, or tonic.
What Is the Difference Between Well and Rail Drinks?
Well drinks and rail drinks are often used interchangeably, but there is a slight difference between the two. While well drinks are made with the most basic and affordable liquors available at a bar, rail drinks  can include any liquor that is stored on the speed rail or well.
What Is a Premium Well Drink?
A premium well drink is a well drink made with a higher quality or premium liquor. These drinks are often slightly more expensive than traditional well drinks, but they still provide a more affordable option for customers who want to enjoy a premium liquor without the high price tag.
How Are Well Drinks Profitable?
Offering well drinks on your menu can be profitable for your restaurant or bar in several ways:
- Affordable pricing: Well drinks are typically the most affordable option on the menu, which can attract customers who are looking for a budget-friendly option.
- Higher profit margin: Since well liquors are typically less expensive than other options, they have a higher profit margin for the bar or restaurant.
- Consistent sales: Well drinks are a popular choice for customers, which means that they are often ordered frequently and consistently.
Well drinks are a staple in many bars and restaurants, offering an affordable and consistent option for customers. These mixed drinks are typically made with the most basic and affordable liquors available, but there are several ways to elevate their quality and taste. Offering well drinks on your menu can be profitable for your restaurant or bar, as they are affordable for customers and have a higher profit margin for the establishment. Whether you’re a customer or a bar owner, well drinks are an important part of the drinking experience. So, the next time you’re at the bar, consider trying out a well drink or two!