Last Updated on March 22, 2023 by Lauren Beck
As a seafood lover, crab legs are a delicacy that should not be missed. With a wide variety of crab species, it can be hard to know which ones are edible and which ones are best to eat.
In this article, we will explore what are the different types of crab legs you can eat and how to choose and prepare them for a delicious meal.
7 Types of Crab Legs You Can Eat
- King Crab Legs: King crab legs are one of the most popular types of crab legs available. These large, meaty legs come from the Alaskan king crab, and their sweet and delicate flavor make them a favorite among seafood enthusiasts.
- Dungeness Crab Legs: Dungeness crab legs are known for their sweet, delicate flavor and are a popular choice for crab boils and crab cakes. These crabs are typically found on the west coast of North America.
- Snow Crab Legs: Snow crab legs are another popular choice among seafood lovers. These legs come from the snow crab, which is found in the North Atlantic and North Pacific oceans.
- Blue Crab Legs: Blue crab legs come from the blue crab, which is found along the eastern coast of North and Central America. These crabs are known for their sweet, tender meat and are a popular choice for crab cakes and soups.
- Red Crab Legs: Red crab legs come from the red crab, which is found in the deep waters off the coast of Chile. These legs have a firm texture and a sweet, delicate flavor.
- Stone Crab Claws: Stone crab claws come from the stone crab, which is found in the warm waters of the Gulf of Mexico and the Atlantic coast of the United States. These claws have a sweet, delicate flavor and a firm texture.
- Jonah Crab Legs: Jonah crab legs come from the Jonah crab, which is found in the waters off the east coast of North America. These legs have a sweet, delicate flavor and a tender texture.
Are All Types of Crabs Edible?
Not all types of crabs are edible. Some crabs are toxic and can cause food poisoning if consumed. It is important to only consume crabs that are known to be edible, such as king crabs, snow crabs, and blue crabs.
It is also important to properly cook crabs to ensure that any harmful bacteria or toxins are destroyed.
What Is the Best Kind of Crab to Eat?
The best kind of crab to eat is a matter of personal preference. King crab legs are a popular choice for their sweet, delicate flavor and large size. Snow crab legs are also a popular choice for their delicate flavor and tender texture.
Dungeness crab legs are a great choice for crab boils and crab cakes, while blue crab legs are a popular choice for soups and stews.
How to Buy Crab Legs?
When buying crab legs, there are a few things to keep in mind:
- Buy from a reputable seafood market or fishmonger.
- Look for legs that are firm and free from cracks or breaks.
- Avoid legs that are discolored or have a strong odor.
- Ask when the legs were harvested to ensure that they are fresh.
How to Choose Crab Legs?
When choosing crab legs, there are a few things to keep in mind:
- Look for legs that are thick and meaty.
- Choose legs that are free from any discoloration or spots.
- Check for any cracks or breaks in the shell.
- Smell the legs to ensure that they are fresh.
Ways to Cook Crab Legs
Crab legs can be cooked in a variety of ways, including:
- Steaming: Steaming crab legs is a popular cooking method that helps to preserve their delicate flavor and tender texture.
- Boiling: Boiling crab legs is another popular cooking method that can be done quickly and easily .
- Grilling: Grilling crab legs can add a smoky flavor and char to the meat.
- Baking: Baking crab legs in the oven can be a great way to infuse them with flavor.
How Many Pounds of Crab Legs Per Person?
The amount of crab legs per person will depend on the individual’s appetite and the size of the crab legs. As a general rule of thumb, plan for 1-2 pounds of crab legs per person.
What Are the Huge Crab Legs Called?
The huge crab legs are called king crab legs. These legs can be up to 5 feet in length and are prized for their sweet, delicate meat.
Why Are King Crab Legs So Good?
King crab legs are so good because they have a sweet, delicate flavor and a meaty texture that is both tender and firm. They are also a good source of protein and omega-3 fatty acids.
What’s the Difference Between Dungeness and King Crab Legs?
The main differences between Dungeness and king crab legs are:
- Size: King crab legs are much larger than Dungeness crab legs.
- Flavor: King crab legs have a sweet, delicate flavor, while Dungeness crab legs have a sweet, nutty flavor.
- Texture: King crab legs have a meaty, firm texture, while Dungeness crab legs have a tender, flaky texture.
Crab legs are a delicious and nutritious seafood choice that can be prepared in a variety of ways. From king crab legs to Dungeness crab legs, there are many different types of crab legs to choose from, each with their own unique flavor and texture. When buying and choosing crab legs, it is important to choose fresh, high-quality legs and to properly cook them to ensure they are safe to eat. With a little bit of know-how and some culinary creativity, you can enjoy the sweet, delicate flavors of crab legs at home.