Last Updated on February 25, 2024 by Lauren Beck
Popcorn is a versatile and delicious snack that can be enjoyed plain or enhanced with a variety of toppings. Whether you have a craving for something sweet or savory, there is surely a popcorn topping that will satisfy your taste buds.
In this article, we will explore what are the things to put on popcorn, as well as tips for making perfect popcorn at home.
15 Best Popcorn Toppings
- Butter and Salt
- Honey and Cinnamon
- Chocolate Chips
- Peanut Butter
- Ranch Dressing Powder
- Hot Sauce
- Bacon Bits
- Barbecue Seasoning
- Herbs and Spices (such as rosemary, thyme, or paprika)
- Nuts (such as almonds, cashews, or peanuts)
- Chocolate Syrup
- Cinnamon and Sugar
How to Make Perfect Popcorn at Home?
Making perfect popcorn at home is easy with the right equipment and ingredients. Here are the steps to follow:
- Choose the right type of popcorn. There are several types of popcorn kernels to choose from, including butterfly, snowflake, and pearl.
- Use a good quality oil. Vegetable or canola oil are great options for making popcorn.
- Add the kernels to a pot with a tight-fitting lid.
- Heat the pot over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until the kernels start to pop.
- Once the kernels start popping, turn the heat down to low and keep the pot covered, shaking it gently every so often.
- When the popping slows down, remove the pot from heat and pour the popcorn into a large bowl.
Different Ways to Make Popcorn
- Microwave Popcorn: For a quick and easy snack, simply place a paper bag filled with popcorn kernels in the microwave and cook for 2-3 minutes or until the popping slows down.
- Air-Popped Popcorn: For a healthier option, use an air-popper machine to make your popcorn. This method uses hot air to pop the kernels and results in a low-fat snack.
- Stovetop Popcorn: For a classic, old-fashioned method, use a pot with a tight-fitting lid to make your popcorn on the stovetop.
How to Get Seasoning to Stick To Popcorn?
To get your toppings to stick to your popcorn, it is important to season the popcorn while it is still warm. Here are some tips to help:
- Drizzle melted butter over the popcorn and mix until the popcorn is evenly coated.
- Sprinkle your toppings over the warm, buttered popcorn and mix until everything is well combined.
- For more intense flavor, use a flavored oil such as garlic, truffle, or chili oil.
Tips & Tricks for Perfect Popcorn
- Don’t skimp on the oil. Using enough oil will help the kernels pop evenly and result in a fluffy and crispy snack.
- Experiment with different types of oil. Each type of oil will result in a slightly different flavor and texture.
- Add salt after the popcorn has finished popping. This will help the salt to stick better and result in a more evenly seasoned snack.
What are Healthy Popcorn Toppings?
If you are looking for healthier options, there are plenty of healthy toppings to choose from. Here are a few:
- Herbs and Spices: Adding herbs and spices to your popcorn can add flavor without adding calories. Try rosemary, thyme, paprika, or chili powder for a flavorful and healthy snack.
- Nutritional Yeast: Nutritional yeast is a great source of protein and vitamins, and it has a nutty, cheesy flavor that goes well with popcorn.
- Salsa: Salsa is a delicious and healthy topping that adds flavor and a bit of spice to your popcorn.
- Low-Fat Cheese: If you love cheese, try using a low-fat version to cut back on the calories.
- Honey: Honey is a natural sweetener that can be drizzled over your popcorn for a sweet and healthy treat.
What Can I Put On Popcorn Instead of Butter?
If you are looking for a healthier alternative to butter, try using coconut oil, avocado oil, or olive oil to drizzle over your popcorn. These oils are healthier than butter and add a unique flavor to your snack.
Is Popcorn the Healthiest Junk Food?
Popcorn can be a healthy junk food option as long as it is prepared and topped in a healthy way . Air-popped popcorn, for example, is a low-fat and low-calorie snack that can be a good choice for those looking for healthier options. However, popcorn topped with butter and sugar is not as healthy, as it can be high in calories and unhealthy fats.
How Much Popcorn Should You Eat a Day?
The amount of popcorn that you should eat depends on your individual calorie needs and dietary goals. Popcorn is a low-calorie snack, but it can add up quickly if you eat too much. A serving of popcorn is about 3 cups, and it is recommended to limit your intake to 2-3 servings per day.
Popcorn is a versatile and delicious snack that can be enjoyed in many different ways. Whether you prefer sweet or savory toppings, there is sure to be a popcorn topping that you will love. With the tips and tricks provided in this article, you can make perfect popcorn at home and enjoy a healthy and satisfying snack.