Last Updated on February 25, 2023 by Lauren Beck
Taco Bell has been a staple in the fast-food industry for decades, known for its creative and innovative menu items. However, not all menu items have stood the test of time, and some fan favorites have been discontinued.
In this article, we will explore the top discontinued Taco Bell items and why they were removed from the menu.
What Are the Discontinued Taco Bell Items?
Here are the 10 Best Discontinued Taco Bell Menu Items:
- Volcano Taco – This spicy taco featured a red shell and a cheesy lava sauce that was discontinued in 2013.
- Double Decker Taco – A soft taco shell wrapped around a hard taco shell, filled with beef, lettuce, cheese, and sauce. This item was discontinued in 2019.
- Beefy Nacho Griller – A flour tortilla filled with seasoned beef, nacho cheese sauce, and red strips, the Beefy Nacho Griller was discontinued in 2020.
- Spicy Chicken Crunchwrap Supreme – This fan favorite consisted of a crispy chicken patty, cheese, lettuce, tomatoes, and spicy sauce, all wrapped in a crunchy tortilla. It was discontinued in 2020.
- Caramel Apple Empanada – A sweet and flaky pastry filled with warm apples and caramel sauce, this dessert item was discontinued in 2018.
- XXL Chalupa – This oversized chalupa featured a crispy shell filled with seasoned beef, lettuce, cheese, and sour cream, and was discontinued in 2019.
- Grilled Stuft Nacho – A grilled tortilla filled with beef, cheese, and nacho cheese sauce, the Grilled Stuft Nacho was discontinued in 2013.
- Quesalupa – A hybrid of a quesadilla and chalupa, the Quesalupa featured a crispy shell filled with melted cheese, beef, lettuce, and sour cream. It was discontinued in 2016.
- Beefy Crunch Burrito – A beef burrito with a crunch, featuring Flaming Hot Fritos, cheese, and sour cream. It was discontinued in 2013.
- Black Jack Taco – This taco had a black shell and featured beef, cheese, lettuce, and a zesty sauce. It was discontinued in 2010.
Why Is Taco Bell Not Serving These Items?
Taco Bell discontinues menu items for several reasons, including:
- Limited time offers – Some items are only available for a limited time, and once the promotion ends, the item is removed from the menu.
- Low demand – If a menu item is not selling well, it may be discontinued to make room for new items that will be more popular.
- Ingredient availability – If an ingredient used in a menu item is no longer available, the item may be discontinued.
- Simplifying the menu – Taco Bell periodically reviews its menu to eliminate items that are not performing well and streamline its offerings.
Will Any of the Discontinued Taco Bell Items Return to the Menu?
While Taco Bell does occasionally bring back discontinued items as limited-time offers, there is no guarantee that any particular item will return. The company is continually experimenting with new menu items and promotions to keep customers interested.
Did the Crunchwrap Get Discontinued?
No, the Crunchwrap is still available on the Taco Bell menu. It is a popular menu item and has been a staple since its introduction in 2005.
Can I Still Order an Enchirito at Taco Bell?
No, the Enchirito was discontinued in 2013 . While it was a fan favorite, it was ultimately removed from the menu due to low demand.
What Happened to Taco Bell Meximelt?
Taco Bell Meximelt was a popular item on the menu, but it was discontinued in 2020. The Meximelt was a soft taco shell filled with seasoned beef, cheese, and pico de gallo, then topped with a creamy sauce. The item had been a mainstay on the menu since the 1980s, so its removal caused quite a stir among fans.
Why Did Taco Bell Discontinue the Tostada?
The Tostada was another classic Taco Bell item that was removed from the menu in 2020. This dish featured a flat corn tortilla topped with refried beans, lettuce, cheese, and other toppings. It was a popular vegetarian option for customers, but unfortunately, it was not immune to the menu cuts made by the company.
Did Taco Bell Stop Cinnamon Twists?
The Cinnamon Twists are still available at Taco Bell, but they have undergone some changes in recent years. Originally, the twists were made from fried dough coated in cinnamon and sugar. However, in 2020, Taco Bell announced that it would be replacing the original recipe with a new version made from oven-baked puffed corn.
Has Taco Bell Ever Had a Fish Taco?
Yes, Taco Bell has offered a fish taco in the past. The menu item was called the Baja Fish Taco, and it featured a deep-fried fish fillet topped with cabbage and a spicy sauce. However, the item was discontinued in the early 2010s and has not returned to the menu since.
Taco Bell has a long history of menu innovation, which means that not all menu items stick around forever. While it can be disappointing to see your favorite item go, it also opens up opportunities for new items to take their place. Whether you are a fan of the Nacho Fries, the Double Decker Taco, or any of the other discontinued menu items, Taco Bell has plenty of delicious options to choose from.
- Where To Source High-Quality Fresh Produce For Your Restaurant - March 20, 2023
- McDonald’s Dollar Menu & Prices - March 18, 2023
- Sonic Drive Thru Menu & Prices - March 18, 2023