Last Updated on February 25, 2023 by Lauren Beck
Pizza is one of the most popular and beloved foods in the world, and for good reason. Its versatility and simplicity make it a crowd-pleaser for all ages. With endless topping combinations and variations, it’s no wonder pizza is a favorite among foodies.
In this article, we’ll explore what are the different types of pizza toppings and answer some commonly asked questions.
20 Best Pizza Toppings
- Pepperoni: This classic topping is a favorite among many pizza lovers, with its spicy, savory flavor.
- Mushrooms: Mushrooms add a delicious earthiness and meaty texture to pizza, making them a popular choice.
- Onions: Whether diced or caramelized, onions can add a sweet and savory flavor to your pizza.
- Sausage: Sausage adds a delicious savory flavor and hearty texture to pizza, making it a popular topping.
- Bacon: Bacon is a delicious addition to pizza, adding a smoky flavor and crispy texture.
- Olives: Olives can add a briny, salty flavor to pizza, and they come in many varieties to choose from.
- Bell peppers: Bell peppers add a sweet and tangy flavor to pizza, as well as a pop of color.
- Jalapenos: If you like a bit of spice, jalapenos can add a fiery kick to your pizza.
- Pineapple: Despite being a controversial topping, pineapple adds a sweet and tropical flavor to pizza, especially when paired with ham.
- Ham: Ham is a classic pizza topping, adding a salty and savory flavor that pairs well with many other toppings.
- Garlic: Garlic adds a pungent and flavorful kick to pizza, and can be used in many forms, from chopped to roasted.
- Artichokes: Artichokes add a unique, tangy flavor to pizza, and their tender texture is a perfect complement to cheese and sauce.
- Sun-dried tomatoes: Sun-dried tomatoes add a concentrated burst of tomato flavor to pizza, and their chewy texture can be a nice contrast to other toppings.
- Feta cheese: Feta cheese is a tangy, salty cheese that pairs well with many pizza toppings, adding a creamy texture and bright flavor.
- Goat cheese: Goat cheese adds a unique, tangy flavor to pizza, and its crumbly texture makes it a nice complement to other toppings.
- Ricotta cheese: Ricotta cheese is a mild and creamy cheese that can be used as a base layer on pizza, or added in dollops on top of other toppings.
- Spinach: Spinach adds a healthy and flavorful component to pizza, with its mild taste and tender texture.
- Basil: Basil adds a fresh and fragrant flavor to pizza, and can be used fresh or dried.
- Arugula: Arugula adds a peppery, slightly bitter flavor to pizza, and can be used as a topping or added fresh after baking.
- Prosciutto: Prosciutto is a salty and flavorful cured meat that pairs well with many pizza toppings, adding a unique texture and taste.
Pizza Topping Ideas
If you’re looking to switch up your pizza toppings, here are some unique ideas to try:
- BBQ chicken
- Caramelized onions
- Fig and goat cheese
- Truffle oil
- Fried chicken
How to Layer a Pizza With Toppings?
Layering your pizza toppings is essential to ensure even cooking and flavor distribution. Here’s a simple step-by-step guide:
- Spread a layer of tomato sauce or pizza sauce on the pizza dough.
- Add a layer of cheese on top of the sauce.
- Add your desired toppings.
- Add another layer of cheese to help hold the toppings in place.
- Bake in the oven according to the recipe instructions.
Pizza Topping Combinations
When it comes to pizza toppings, some combinations are just meant to be. Here are some classic pizza topping combinations to try:
- Margherita (tomato sauce, mozzarella cheese, basil)
- Hawaiian (tomato sauce, mozzarella cheese, ham, pineapple)
- Meat lovers (tomato sauce, mozzarella cheese, pepperoni, sausage, bacon)
- Veggie (tomato sauce, mozzarella cheese, mushrooms, onions, bell peppers)
- Four cheese (tomato sauce, mozzarella cheese, feta cheese, goat cheese, ricotta cheese)
What Is The Best Cheese For Pizza?
Mozzarella cheese is the most commonly used cheese for pizza  due to its mild flavor and ability to melt and brown evenly. Other cheeses that are great for pizza include provolone, Parmesan, and Romano.
Does Salad Belong On Pizza?
While not a traditional pizza topping, adding salad to pizza has become more popular in recent years. Some popular salad toppings for pizza include arugula, spinach, and Caesar salad.
What Should I Put on Pizza First?
The sauce should be the first layer on your pizza dough, followed by the cheese, then your desired toppings.
How Do You Order a Pizza Like a Pro?
Ordering pizza can be overwhelming, especially if you’re trying a new place. Here are some tips for ordering pizza like a pro:
- Specify the type of crust you want (thin, thick, stuffed, etc.).
- Choose your desired sauce (tomato sauce, pesto, Alfredo, etc.).
- Specify your preferred cheese.
- Choose your toppings.
- Request any additional seasonings or toppings (garlic, extra cheese, etc.).
- Specify any cooking preferences (crispy, well-done, etc.).
Do You Cook Pizza Base Before Adding Topping?
It depends on the recipe. Some pizza doughs require pre-baking before adding toppings, while others can be topped and baked together. Follow the recipe instructions for best results.
Pizza toppings are a crucial aspect of creating the perfect pie, and there are endless options to choose from. Whether you prefer classic toppings like pepperoni and mushrooms or more unique options like BBQ chicken or fig and goat cheese, there’s a topping combination out there for everyone. Remember to layer your toppings correctly and choose the right cheese for the job. And don’t be afraid to try something new, like adding a salad to your pizza or switching up your usual order. With so many possibilities, there’s always room for experimentation and creativity in the world of pizza toppings.
- Where To Source High-Quality Fresh Produce For Your Restaurant - March 20, 2023
- McDonald’s Dollar Menu & Prices - March 18, 2023
- Sonic Drive Thru Menu & Prices - March 18, 2023