Last Updated on February 25, 2024 by Lauren Beck
There’s nothing quite like the satisfying experience of taking a bite out of a freshly baked, buttery pie. No matter if you have a sweet tooth or a penchant for savory flavors, pies are a well-loved dessert and always make an appearance at gatherings. With the numerous types of pies to choose from, it can be tough to decide which one to treat yourself with.
From classic flavors to unique twists, let’s explore the world of pies and discover the different types that are sure to satisfy your taste buds.
14 Different Types of Pies
- Apple Pie – A classic dessert made with sweetened apples, cinnamon, and a buttery crust.
- Pumpkin Pie – A Thanksgiving favorite made with spiced pumpkin custard and a flaky crust.
- Pecan Pie – A Southern specialty made with a rich filling of pecans and corn syrup.
- Cherry Pie – A sweet and tart dessert made with juicy cherries and a buttery crust.
- Blueberry Pie – A delicious summer dessert made with fresh or frozen blueberries and a flaky crust.
- Lemon Meringue Pie – A tangy pie made with lemon custard filling and fluffy meringue topping.
- Key Lime Pie – A Southern dessert made with tart key lime juice and a graham cracker crust.
- Chocolate Pie – A decadent dessert made with rich chocolate custard filling and a flaky crust.
- Banana Cream Pie – A creamy dessert made with vanilla custard, fresh bananas, and a flaky crust.
- Sweet Potato Pie – A Southern staple made with mashed sweet potatoes, spices, and a flaky crust.
- Rhubarb Pie – A tart pie made with fresh rhubarb and a buttery crust.
- Coconut Cream Pie – A creamy dessert made with coconut milk, vanilla custard, and a flaky crust.
- Strawberry Pie – A delicious dessert made with fresh strawberries and a buttery crust.
- Blackberry Pie – A flavorful dessert made with fresh blackberries and a flaky crust.
What Is Pie?
Pie is a baked dish made with a pastry crust and a sweet or savory filling. It can be made with a variety of ingredients, including fruit, custard, meat, and vegetables.
Pies are a popular dessert in many cultures and are often served with whipped cream or ice cream.
A Brief History of Pie
The origins of pie can be traced back to ancient Greece and Rome, where pies were made with meat fillings and served as a main course. During the Middle Ages, pies evolved into sweet desserts and were made with dried fruits, spices, and sugar.
The first sweet pie recipe was recorded in England in the 14th century and included ingredients such as figs, raisins, and pears.
What Is a Pie Without a Base Called?
A pie without a base is called a tart. Tarts are made with a shallow pastry crust and can be filled with sweet or savory ingredients, such as fruit, custard, or vegetables.
What Is the Healthiest Pie to Eat?
While pies are not typically considered a healthy dessert, some options are healthier than others. Here are some of the healthiest pies you can indulge in:
- Pumpkin Pie – Pumpkin is a good source of fiber, vitamins A and C, and potassium.
- Sweet Potato Pie – Sweet potatoes are a good source of fiber, vitamins A and C, and potassium.
- Fruit Pies – Fruit pies are made with fresh fruit, which is a good source of fiber, vitamins, and minerals.
What Was the Most Expensive Pie?
The most expensive pie ever made was a $12,000 meat pie  created by chef Ben Spalding in 2014. The pie was made with Japanese wagyu beef, two bottles of vintage wine, truffles, and gold leaf.
What Is a Meat Pie Called?
A meat pie is called a savory pie or a pot pie. It is a pastry crust filled with meat, vegetables, and gravy.
Savory pies can be made with various types of meat, including chicken, beef, lamb, and pork, and are a popular dish in many cultures around the world.
What Was the First Pie Ever Made?
The first pie ever made is difficult to pinpoint, as pies have been a part of many cultures for centuries.
However, the ancient Greeks and Romans are credited with inventing the pie as a savory dish made with meat fillings.
The first sweet pies were recorded in England in the 14th century and were made with ingredients such as figs, raisins, and pears.
Pies are a beloved dessert and a staple at any gathering. From classic flavors to unique twists, there are so many variations available that can satisfy any craving. Whether you prefer sweet or savory, fruit or meat, pies are a versatile dish that can be enjoyed at any time of day. So next time you’re in the mood for something comforting and delicious, grab a slice of your favorite pie and savor every bite.