Last Updated on March 31, 2023 by Lauren Beck
Beans are a popular staple food that has been enjoyed by people around the world for centuries. These nutritious and versatile legumes come in a wide variety of types, each with its own unique flavor, texture, and culinary uses.
From the humble kidney bean to the exotic adzuki bean, there are many different kinds of beans out there to explore.
In this article, we’ll take a closer look at the most popular types of beans, as well as their nutritional benefits, cooking methods, and storage tips.
12 Different Kinds of Beans:
- Black Beans: These beans have a rich, earthy flavor and a soft texture that makes them a popular ingredient in many Latin American and Caribbean dishes.
- Kidney Beans: These beans are large and kidney-shaped, with a firm texture and a mild, nutty flavor. They’re often used in chili, soups, and stews.
- Lima Beans: These beans have a buttery flavor and a soft, mealy texture. They’re often used in succotash and other Southern-style dishes.
- Navy Beans: These small, oval-shaped beans have a mild flavor and a creamy texture. They’re often used in baked beans and other hearty dishes.
- Pinto Beans: These beans are small and speckled, with a creamy texture and a slightly sweet flavor. They’re often used in Mexican cuisine, as well as in chili and other dishes.
- Garbanzo Beans (Chickpeas): These beans have a nutty flavor and a firm texture. They’re often used in Middle Eastern and Mediterranean dishes, such as hummus and falafel.
- Cannellini Beans: These white beans have a creamy texture and a mild flavor. They’re often used in Italian cuisine, such as in minestrone soup and pasta dishes.
- Adzuki Beans: These small, red beans have a slightly sweet flavor and a firm texture. They’re often used in Japanese desserts, as well as in savory dishes.
- Mung Beans: These small, green beans have a slightly nutty flavor and a soft texture. They’re often used in Indian and Chinese cuisine, as well as in sprouts.
- Lentils: These small, lens-shaped legumes come in a variety of colors, including green, brown, and red. They have a nutty flavor and a soft texture, and are often used in soups, stews, and salads.
- Fava Beans: These large, flat beans have a slightly sweet flavor and a creamy texture. They’re often used in Mediterranean and Middle Eastern cuisine, such as in ful medames.
- Soybeans: These beans are high in protein and have a slightly nutty flavor. They’re often used in Asian cuisine, such as in tofu and soy milk.
What Are Beans?
Beans are legumes, which are plants that produce seeds in a pod. They’re a great source of protein, fiber, vitamins, and minerals, and are often used as a meat substitute in vegetarian and vegan dishes.
Beans come in a wide variety of types, including kidney beans, black beans, navy beans, pinto beans, and many more.
How Many Types of Beans Are There?
There are over 40,000 different types of beans in the world, but the most commonly consumed types include black beans, kidney beans, pinto beans, navy beans, and garbanzo beans (chickpeas).
How to Store Beans?
Dried beans should be stored in a cool, dry place, such as a pantry or cupboard. They can be kept in an airtight container for up to a year. Once cooked, beans should be stored in the refrigerator and consumed within 3-4 days.
Ways to Cook Beans?
Beans can be cooked in a variety of ways, including boiling, steaming, roasting, and pressure cooking.
Before cooking, beans should be rinsed and soaked in water for several hours to help reduce cooking time and improve digestibility.
The cooking time for beans will vary depending on the type of bean and the cooking method used.
How Much Does 1 Cup of Dried Beans Yield (Cooked)?
One cup of dried beans will yield about 2-3 cups of cooked beans, depending on the type of bean and the cooking method used.
Are Legumes Beans?
Legumes are a type of plant that includes beans, lentils, peas, and peanuts. While all beans are legumes, not all legumes are beans.
What Beans Go in Chili?
Kidney beans and pinto beans are both commonly used in chili, although other types of beans can be used as well .
Can You Freeze Baked Beans?
Yes, baked beans can be frozen for later use. Allow the beans to cool to room temperature before placing them in a freezer-safe container or bag. They can be stored in the freezer for up to 3 months.
Is Eating Beans Everyday Good for You?
Beans are a nutritious and healthy food that can be enjoyed as part of a balanced diet. They’re high in protein, fiber, vitamins, and minerals, and are also low in fat and calories.
Eating beans regularly may help to reduce the risk of heart disease, diabetes, and certain types of cancer.
Beans are a versatile and nutritious food that come in a wide variety of types, each with its own unique flavor and texture. From black beans to garbanzo beans, there are many different kinds of beans out there to explore. Beans can be used in a variety of dishes, including soups, stews, salads, and even desserts. They’re also a great source of protein, fiber, vitamins, and minerals, making them an excellent choice for vegetarians and vegans. By following these tips for storing and cooking beans, you can enjoy the many health benefits and delicious flavors that beans have to offer.