Last Updated on February 7, 2023 by Lauren Beck
French fries are a classic and beloved fast food dish that can be found in restaurants and cafes all over the world. But did you know that there are many different types of French fries?
In this article, we’ll explore 20 different types of French fries, from the classic skinny fries to more unique and creative varieties.
20 Different Types of French Fries:
- Shoestring Fries: Thin and crispy, shoestring fries are a classic type of French fries.
- Crinkle Cut Fries: Wavy and crunchy, crinkle cut fries are a unique take on the classic fries.
- Steak Fries: Thick and hearty, steak fries are a popular option for those who want a heartier side dish.
- Sweet Potato Fries: Sweet and savory, sweet potato fries are a healthier alternative to traditional fries.
- Waffle Fries: Criss-crossed and crispy, waffle fries are a fun twist on traditional fries.
- Tater Tots: Bite-sized and crispy, tater tots are a beloved snack and side dish.
- Curly Fries: Spiraled and crispy, curly fries are a unique take on traditional fries.
- Seasoned Fries: Flavored with spices and seasonings, seasoned fries are a tasty alternative to plain fries.
- Garlic Fries: Flavorful and savory, garlic fries are a popular option for those who love garlic.
- Chilli Cheese Fries: Topped with chili and cheese, chili cheese fries are a beloved fast food dish.
- Poutine: A Canadian dish that consists of fries topped with gravy and cheese curds.
- Wedges: Large and thick, wedge fries are a hearty alternative to traditional fries.
- Cajun Fries: Spiced with Cajun seasonings, Cajun fries are a flavorful and spicy option.
- Parmesan Fries: Topped with parmesan cheese and herbs, parmesan fries are a gourmet take on traditional fries.
- Beer Battered Fries: Fried in beer batter, beer battered fries are a crispy and flavorful option.
- Zucchini Fries: Made from zucchini, zucchini fries are a healthy and delicious alternative to traditional fries.
- Sweet Chili Fries: Flavored with sweet chili sauce, sweet chili fries are a sweet and spicy alternative.
- Wasabi Fries: Spiced with wasabi, wasabi fries are a bold and spicy option.
- Truffle Fries: Topped with truffle oil and parmesan cheese, truffle fries are a gourmet take on traditional fries.
- Buffalo Fries: Topped with buffalo sauce and blue cheese dressing, buffalo fries are a spicy and tangy option.
Ways to Prepare French Fries:
- Soaking: Soaking fries in cold water before cooking removes excess starch and ensures crispy fries.
- Blanching: Boiling fries in water for a short period of time before frying sets the color and texture.
- Double Frying: Frying fries twice, first at a lower temperature and then at a higher temperature, results in crispy and evenly cooked fries.
Ways to Cook French Fries:
- Baking: Baking fries in the oven is a healthier alternative to frying.
- Frying: Frying fries in oil is the traditional and most common method of cooking fries.
- Air frying: Air frying fries is a healthier alternative to traditional frying as it uses less oil.
What Style of French Fries Are Most Popular?
The most popular style of French fries is the thin and crispy shoestring fries. They are often found in fast food restaurants and are a staple side dish for many.
What Are the Skinny Fries Called?
The skinny fries are often referred to as shoestring fries.
What Are Hobo Fries?
Hobo fries are a type of French fry dish that is typically served in a foil wrap and consists of fries, cheese, and other toppings.
What Are Kamikaze Fries?
Kamikaze fries are a type of French fry dish that typically includes fries topped with cheese, spicy sauce, and other toppings.
Why Do Restaurant Fries Taste Better?
Restaurant fries often taste better because they use a specific type of potato that is specifically grown for making French fries and they often use high-quality oil for frying. They also have the right equipment and techniques to make perfectly crispy fries every time.
What Do Restaurants Put On French Fries to Make Them Crispy?
Restaurants often use a combination of methods, including soaking, blanching, and double frying, to make their French fries crispy. Some restaurants may also add a small amount of cornstarch to the fries to help absorb any excess oil and make them even crispier .
French fries come in many different styles and varieties, from the classic shoestring fries to the more unique and creative options like truffle fries or kamikaze fries. The key to making delicious fries is using the right potatoes, oil, and cooking method, which will result in perfectly crispy and flavorful fries every time. Whether you prefer your fries thin and crispy or thick and hearty, there is a type of French fry out there for everyone.
- Where To Source High-Quality Fresh Produce For Your Restaurant - March 20, 2023
- McDonald’s Dollar Menu & Prices - March 18, 2023
- Sonic Drive Thru Menu & Prices - March 18, 2023