Last Updated on February 25, 2024 by Lauren Beck
The release of the Popeyes chicken sandwich in 2019 has caused quite a stir in the news. Its succulent and crispy bites have captured the hearts of many, and it’s easy to understand why.
But did you know that you can make your own Popeyes chicken sandwich at home? Yes, that’s right! You can recreate the taste of Popeyes chicken sandwich in your own kitchen with a few simple ingredients and techniques.
Popeyes Classic Chicken Sandwich Recipe
For the chicken:
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon hot sauce
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- Vegetable oil, for frying
For the sandwich:
- 2 brioche buns
- 4-6 pickle slices
- Spicy Cajun sauce (optional)
- In a large bowl, mix together buttermilk and hot sauce. Add the chicken breasts and let them marinate for at least 30 minutes.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the flour, paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, and black pepper.
- Heat a large pot or deep fryer with vegetable oil over medium-high heat.
- Take each chicken breast out of the buttermilk mixture, allowing any excess to drip off. Dredge each chicken breast in the flour mixture, making sure it is fully coated.
- Carefully place the chicken breasts into the hot oil and fry until golden brown and cooked through, about 6-8 minutes per side.
- Remove the chicken from the oil and let it rest on a paper towel-lined plate to drain off any excess oil.
- Toast the brioche buns.
- Spread mayonnaise on the bottom bun and place 2-3 pickle slices on top. Add the fried chicken breast and drizzle with spicy Cajun sauce (if desired).
- Cover with the top bun and serve immediately.
Note: You can adjust the amount of hot sauce and Cajun sauce according to your taste preference. Also, if you don’t have buttermilk, you can make a substitute by adding 1 tablespoon of vinegar or lemon juice to 1 cup of milk and letting it sit for 5-10 minutes.
Why Is Popeyes Chicken Sandwich So Popular?
Popeyes chicken sandwich is popular for a few reasons. Firstly, it has a perfectly crispy exterior and juicy, tender chicken on the inside.
The sandwich also comes with a creamy mayo sauce and tangy pickles, which adds an explosion of flavor to every bite.
Additionally, the hype around the sandwich’s release, which caused long lines and even shortages in some areas, has contributed to its popularity.
Tips in Making Popeyes Classic Chicken Sandwich
Making Popeyes chicken sandwich at home requires some attention to detail, but it’s not difficult. Here are a few tips to keep in mind when making your own sandwich:
- Brine the chicken: Brining the chicken before frying it helps to keep it juicy and flavorful.
- Use the right breading: A mix of flour and cornstarch will give the chicken a crispy texture.
- Fry in peanut oil: Popeyes fries their chicken in peanut oil, which gives it a unique flavor.
- Toast the buns: Toasting the buns in butter gives them a crispy, golden exterior.
What Pickles Are Best for Popeyes Chicken Sandwich?
Popeyes chicken sandwich is served with thick-cut dill pickles. These pickles provide a tangy and refreshing contrast to the crispy chicken and creamy mayo sauce.
If you want to recreate the authentic taste of Popeyes chicken sandwich, you should use dill pickles as well.
What Kind of Chicken Does Popeyes Use?
Popeyes uses chicken breast fillets to make their chicken sandwich. The chicken is marinated in a blend of Louisiana seasonings and then battered and breaded in a flour and cornstarch mixture before being fried in peanut oil.
Popeyes Chicken Sandwich Calories?
Popeyes chicken sandwich is a calorie-dense sandwich. A regular sandwich contains around 690 calories, 42 grams of fat, 50 grams of carbs, and 28 grams of protein .
If you’re watching your calorie intake, you can make a lighter version of the sandwich by using a smaller bun, grilling the chicken instead of frying it, and using light mayo.
How To Store Fried Chicken Sandwiches?
If you have leftovers, you can store your Popeyes chicken sandwiches in the fridge for up to 3 days. To prevent the buns from becoming soggy, store the chicken and the buns separately.
When you’re ready to eat, reheat the chicken in the oven or microwave and assemble the sandwich with fresh buns.
How Long To Fry Chicken For Popeyes Chicken Sandwiches?
The chicken breast fillets should be fried for around 3-4 minutes per side until they are golden brown and crispy. Make sure to monitor the oil temperature and adjust the heat as necessary to prevent the chicken from burning.
Is It Cheaper To Make A Popeyes Chicken Sandwich At Home?
Making Popeyes chicken sandwich at home can be cheaper than buying it at the restaurant, especially if you’re making it for a group of people. The cost of ingredients will depend on where you live, but generally, it’s cheaper to make it at home.
Best Sides For Popeyes Chicken Sandwich?
Popeyes chicken sandwich is often served with Cajun fries, which are crispy and seasoned with a blend of spices. Other great sides to pair with the sandwich include:
- Mashed potatoes with gravy
- Mac and cheese
Do I Have to Make Popeyes Chicken Sandwiches With Chicken Breasts?
If you want to switch things up, you can use other cuts of chicken to make your sandwich.
However, keep in mind that the cooking time and method may vary depending on the cut of chicken. For example, chicken thighs may require a longer cooking time than chicken breasts.
Popeyes chicken sandwich is a delicious and popular sandwich that you can easily make at home. With a few simple ingredients and techniques, you can recreate the crispy, juicy, and flavorful sandwich that people can’t seem to get enough of. Remember to brine the chicken, use the right breading, fry in peanut oil, and toast the buns for an authentic taste. Pair it with some Cajun fries, coleslaw, or other sides of your choice, and you’ve got a meal that’s sure to satisfy.