Last Updated on February 12, 2023 by Lauren Beck
Taco Bell is a popular fast-food chain that is widely known for its Mexican-style food. With its vast menu options, it can be challenging to determine which items are keto-friendly, especially for those following a low-carb, high-fat diet.
This article provides a comprehensive guide to the most common keto options available at Taco Bell, how to make meals more keto-friendly, tips for eating keto at Taco Bell, and more.
12 Keto Options at Taco Bell:
- Beefy 5-Layer Burrito without beans and rice: This menu item typically includes beef, nacho cheese sauce, reduced-fat sour cream, and guacamole, all wrapped in a soft flour tortilla. By removing the beans and rice, the carbohydrate content of this burrito is significantly reduced, making it a keto-friendly option.
- Shredded Chicken: Shredded chicken is a simple and versatile ingredient that can be added to a variety of Taco Bell menu items, such as tacos, burritos, and salads, to increase the protein content and make the meal more keto-friendly.
- Steak Soft Taco: The steak soft taco is a classic taco option that features seasoned steak, lettuce, and cheese, all wrapped in a soft flour tortilla. To make this taco more keto-friendly, simply skip the tortilla and enjoy the filling on its own.
- Chicken Soft Taco: Similar to the steak soft taco, the chicken soft taco can be made keto-friendly by removing the tortilla and enjoying the filling, which typically includes shredded chicken, lettuce, and cheese.
- Grilled Steak Taco Salad: This salad features a bed of lettuce topped with grilled steak, shredded cheese, diced tomatoes, and guacamole. To make this salad keto-friendly, ask for no beans, rice, or corn, and skip the high-carb dressings.
- Beef Chalupa Supreme without the shell: The beef chalupa supreme typically includes seasoned beef, lettuce, cheese, tomatoes, and reduced-fat sour cream, all served in a deep-fried shell. By removing the shell, the carbohydrate content is significantly reduced, making this a keto-friendly option.
- Shredded Chicken Mini Quesadilla: This mini quesadilla features melted cheese and shredded chicken, grilled between two small flour tortillas. To make this quesadilla more keto-friendly, remove one of the tortillas or split the quesadilla with a friend to reduce the portion size and carbohydrate content.
- Beefy Mini Quesadilla: Similar to the shredded chicken mini quesadilla, the beefy mini quesadilla can be made keto-friendly by removing one of the tortillas or splitting the quesadilla with a friend.
- Shredded Chicken Burrito: This burrito typically features shredded chicken, nacho cheese sauce, reduced-fat sour cream, and guacamole, all wrapped in a soft flour tortilla. To make this burrito more keto-friendly, remove the tortilla and enjoy the filling on its own.
- Beefy Fritos Burrito: This burrito features seasoned beef, nacho cheese sauce, and Fritos chips, all wrapped in a soft flour tortilla. To make this burrito keto-friendly, remove the Fritos and the tortilla, and enjoy the filling on its own.
- Shredded Chicken Tostada: A tostada is a crispy corn tortilla topped with ingredients, such as shredded chicken, lettuce, cheese, and diced tomatoes. To make this tostada more keto-friendly, remove the tortilla and enjoy the filling on its own.
- Beefy Nacho Griller: This menu item features seasoned beef, nacho cheese sauce, and red strips, grilled and served in a warm flour tortilla. To make this griller more keto-friendly, remove the tortilla and enjoy the filling on its own.
How to Make Taco Bell Meals More Keto-Friendly?
- Skip the taco shells, chips, and tortillas
- Ask for meat and cheese with no added sauces or dressings
- Select salad options and ask for no beans, rice, or corn
- Opt for grilled meats instead of crispy
- Avoid sauces high in sugar and carbs, such as the sweet chili sauce and barbecue sauce
Tips for Eating Keto at Taco Bell:
- Check nutrition information and ingredient lists before ordering
- Bring your own low-carb toppings, such as avocado or sour cream
- Be mindful of hidden carbs in sauces and dressings
- Split meals with a friend to reduce portion sizes and carbohydrate intake
How Many Carbs in a Taco Bell Taco?
The number of carbs in a Taco Bell taco varies depending on the type of taco and its ingredients. A standard crunchy beef taco contains approximately 20-25 grams of carbohydrates, while a soft chicken taco contains approximately 15-20 grams of carbohydrates.
Are Taco Bell Crunchy Taco Shells Keto-Friendly?
No, the crunchy taco shells at Taco Bell are not keto-friendly due to their high carbohydrate content. One taco shell contains approximately 15-20 grams of carbohydrates.
Is Taco Bell Keto?
Taco Bell can be keto-friendly, but it requires careful menu selection and modification. Many menu items contain high amounts of carbohydrates, making them unsuitable for those following a low-carb diet. However, with the options listed above and modifications, it is possible to enjoy keto-friendly meals at Taco Bell.
Is the Cheesy Toasted Breakfast Burrito Keto-Friendly?
No, the Cheesy Toasted Breakfast Burrito is not keto-friendly due to its high carbohydrate content. One burrito contains approximately 60-70 grams of carbohydrates.
How to Order Keto at Taco Bell?
When ordering keto at Taco Bell, it is essential to choose menu items that are low in carbohydrates and high in healthy fats and proteins. Ask for modifications to your order, such as no beans, rice, or tortillas, to reduce the carbohydrate content of your meal. Also, be mindful of sauces and dressings, as they can contain hidden carbs.
Taco Bell can be a viable option for those following a ketogenic diet  with careful menu selection and modifications. The options listed above, along with tips for ordering and eating keto-friendly at Taco Bell, can help make dining at the fast-food chain a successful and enjoyable experience. It is also crucial to check nutrition information and ingredient lists before ordering and to be mindful of hidden carbs in sauces and dressings. With a little planning and preparation, following a ketogenic diet at Taco Bell is possible.