Last Updated on February 24, 2024 by Lauren Beck
Ever wondered if it’s safe and healthy to eat the skin of a kiwi, despite its delicious and nutritious properties? You may be surprised to learn that while the skin may not be edible in all cases, there are some potential benefits to consuming it.
In this article, we will discuss whether it is ok to eat the skin of a kiwi, the potential health benefits, and how to prepare it. We’ll also provide some tips on how to tell if a kiwi is ripe and ready to eat. So read on to learn more about this delicious and nutritious fruit!
What is Kiwi?
Kiwi is a small, sweet, and tart fruit with a fuzzy brown skin and bright green flesh. It is native to China and cultivated in New Zealand, Australia, Italy, and the United States. It is a popular addition to smoothies, salads, and desserts. The skin of the kiwi is edible and provides lots of beneficial nutrients, including vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, and dietary fiber.
6 Nutrition Facts of Kiwi Skin
- Rich in Vitamin C: The skin of a kiwi is high in vitamin C, providing about 30% of your daily value.
- High in Antioxidants: Kiwi skin is a good source of antioxidants, which can help protect against oxidative stress and cell damage.
- Good Source of Dietary Fiber: The skin of a kiwi is a good source of dietary fiber, providing about 9% of your daily value.
- Rich in Minerals: The skin of a kiwi is a good source of minerals, including potassium, magnesium, and phosphorus.
- Contains Phytonutrients: The skin of a kiwi contains phytonutrients, which are plant compounds that have health-promoting properties.
- Low in Calories: The skin of a kiwi is low in calories, providing about 20 calories per serving.
7 Benefits of Kiwi Fruit Skin
- Supports Digestive Health: Eating the skin of a kiwi can help promote digestive health due to its high fiber content.
- Boosts Immunity: The high amount of vitamin C found in the skin of a kiwi can help boost immunity and protect against infections.
- Rich in Antioxidants: The skin of a kiwi is rich in antioxidants, which can help protect against oxidative stress and cell damage.
- May Help Lower Blood Pressure: The potassium found in the skin of a kiwi can help lower blood pressure by relaxing the walls of your blood vessels.
- May Help Lower Cholesterol: The dietary fiber found in the skin of a kiwi can help lower cholesterol levels by binding to cholesterol and preventing it from being absorbed into the blood.
- May Help Reduce Inflammation: The phytonutrients found in the skin of a kiwi can help reduce inflammation and protect against chronic diseases.
- May Help Control Blood Sugar: The dietary fiber found in the skin of a kiwi can help control blood sugar levels by slowing down the absorption of sugar into the bloodstream.
Can It Be Dangerous To Eat Kiwi Skin?
Eating the skin of a kiwi is generally safe and not associated with any significant health risks. However, some people may experience an allergic reaction if they are sensitive to the skin of a kiwi. In addition, the skin of a kiwi can contain higher amounts of pesticides, so it is important to purchase organic kiwi to ensure that it is safe to eat.
How to Eat a Whole Kiwi?
- Wash the kiwi thoroughly before eating to remove any dirt or pesticides.
- Cut the kiwi into slices or wedges.
- Eat the slices or wedges with the skin on.
- Enjoy the sweet and tart flavor of the kiwi!
How to Wash a Kiwi?
- Rinse the kiwi under cold running water.
- Gently scrub the kiwi with a vegetable brush to remove any dirt or pesticides.
- Rinse the kiwi again under cold running water.
- Dry the kiwi with a clean paper towel.
- Enjoy the kiwi!
Can You Digest Kiwi Skin?
Yes, the skin of a kiwi is edible and can be digested. The skin of a kiwi contains dietary fiber, which helps promote healthy digestion. Eating the skin of a kiwi can also provide essential vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants that can benefit your health.
Is Kiwi Skin a Laxative?
No, the skin of a kiwi is not a laxative. While the skin of a kiwi does contain dietary fiber, it is not enough to have a laxative effect.
How Many Kiwis a Day Is Too Much?
It is generally safe to eat up to two kiwis per day. Eating more than two kiwis per day may cause digestive issues, such as bloating, gas, and diarrhea. It is also important to note that eating too much kiwi can lead to a vitamin C overdose, which can cause nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea .
Kiwi is a delicious and nutritious fruit that is packed with essential vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants. Eating the skin of a kiwi can provide numerous health benefits and is generally safe. However, it is important to wash the kiwi thoroughly before eating and not to eat more than two kiwis per day. With these tips in mind, you can enjoy kiwi skin’s sweet and tart flavor while reaping its health benefits.