Last Updated on October 4, 2022 by Lauren Beck
Have you ever wanted to make your own pickled banana peppers like the ones served at Subway? It’s actually quite easy to do, and only requires a few simple ingredients.
In this article, we’ll walk you through the process of pickling banana peppers, step-by-step. By the end, you’ll be an expert at making your own pickled banana peppers!
How to Make Pickled Banana Peppers Like Subway
Here’s an easy recipe for pickled banana peppers that tastes just like the ones served at Subway.
- 1 pound banana peppers
- 1 cup white vinegar
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- Start by washing your banana peppers. Cut off the stem end, then slice the peppers into thin rounds.
- In a large bowl, combine the vinegar, water, sugar, salt, garlic, and oregano. Stir until the sugar and salt have dissolved.
- Add the banana peppers to the bowl and stir until they’re fully coated with the pickling mixture.
- Cover the bowl with a lid or plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 24 hours.
- After 24 hours, transfer the pickled banana peppers to a clean jar with a tight-fitting lid. Store in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.
And that’s it! You’ve now made your own pickled banana peppers like Subway. Enjoy them on sandwiches, salads, or straight out of the jar!
About Banana Peppers
Banana peppers are a type of sweet pepper that gets its name from its shape, which is similar to a banana.
These peppers are usually mild in heat, although the exact level of spiciness can vary depending on the variety.
Banana peppers are commonly used in salads, sandwiches, and as a topping for pizza. They can also be pickled and enjoyed on their own as a tasty snack.
If you can’t find banana peppers, you can also use sweet bell peppers in this recipe. Just keep in mind that they won’t be as spicy.
Are Banana Peppers a Hot Pepper?
The answer to this question depends on the variety of banana pepper. Some varieties, such as the yellow wax pepper, are quite mild and are considered to be sweet peppers.
Other varieties, such as the Hungarian wax pepper, can be quite spicy. These peppers are usually labeled with their level of spiciness, so you’ll know what to expect before you buy them.
In general, most banana peppers fall somewhere in the middle of the spectrum and are moderate in heat. However, it’s always best to taste a pepper before using it in a recipe to know how spicy it is.
Tips for Pickling Banana Peppers
Here are a few tips to help you make the best pickled banana peppers:
- Use fresh peppers for the best flavor. If you can’t find fresh peppers, you can use frozen ones, but they won’t be as crisp.
- Slice the peppers into thin rounds so they’ll pickle evenly.
- Be sure to use a clean jar with a tight-fitting lid to store the peppers. This will help prevent them from going bad.
- Let the peppers pickle for at least 24 hours before eating. This will give them time to develop their flavor.
- Pickled banana peppers will last for up to 2 weeks in the refrigerator. After that, they’ll start to lose their flavor.
With these tips in mind, you’re sure to make delicious pickled banana peppers that taste just like Subway!
Ways to Serve Pickled Banana Peppers
There are endless ways to enjoy pickled banana peppers. Here are a few of our favorites:
- On sandwiches and burgers
- In salads
- As a topping for pizza
- On their own as a snack
How long do pickled banana peppers last in the fridge?
Pickled banana peppers will last for up to 2 weeks in the refrigerator. After that, they’ll start to lose their flavor.
Are Pickled Banana Peppers Good for You?
Banana peppers are a good source of vitamins A and C. They also contain fiber and minerals like potassium.
Pickling banana peppers does not add any significant nutritional value. However, it does preserve the peppers so they can be enjoyed for longer.
Do Pickles Go Bad?
Yes, pickles can go bad . If they are not stored properly, they will develop mold and bacteria.
To prevent this from happening, be sure to store pickled banana peppers in a clean jar with a tight-fitting lid. They will last for up to 2 weeks in the refrigerator.
How to Tell if Pickles Have Gone Bad?
There are a few signs that you can look for to tell if pickles have gone bad. These include:
- Mold on the surface of the pickles
- A slimy texture
- An off-putting smell
If you see any of these signs, it’s best to throw out the pickles. Eating moldy or rotten food can make you sick.
Pickled banana peppers are a delicious and easy way to add a little spice to your life. With just a few simple ingredients, you can make your own pickled peppers at home. Be sure to use fresh peppers for the best flavor and let them pickle for at least 24 hours before eating.