Last Updated on October 4, 2022 by Lauren Beck
Have you ever been in the middle of cooking and realized you don’t have a vegetable peeler? Whether you’re trying to avoid wastage or save time, there are a few ways you can still peel sweet potatoes without one.
In this article, we’ll show you how to peel sweet potatoes without a peeler. We’ll also share some tips on how to make the process easier.
Ways To Peel Sweet Potatoes Without A Peeler
There are a few different ways that you can peel sweet potatoes without a peeler. Here are some of the most popular methods:
- Using A Knife: This is probably the most common way to peel sweet potatoes without a peeler. Simply cut off the ends of the sweet potato and then use a sharp knife to peel off the skin. Be careful not to cut yourself and go slowly to ensure you get all of the skin off.
- Using A Mandoline: If you have a mandoline, you can use it to peel sweet potatoes without a peeler. Just set the mandoline to a thin setting and then run the sweet potato through it. This will quickly and easily peel the sweet potato for you.
- Using A Grater: This is a great way to peel sweet potatoes if you don’t have a mandoline or a knife. Simply grate the sweet potato on the largest setting on your grater. The skin will stay on top of the grater while the flesh falls through. You can then discard the skin.
- Baking Them: This is a great way to peel sweet potatoes if you’re planning on baking them anyway. Simply preheat your oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit and bake the sweet potatoes for 45 minutes. Once they’re done, the skins will peel right off.
Do I Have to Peel My Sweet Potatoes?
If you’re in a hurry or don’t have a peeler, you don’t necessarily have to peel your sweet potatoes. In fact, many people prefer to leave the skin on because it’s packed with nutrients.
If you do decide to leave the skin on, just make sure you give them a good wash first. This will remove any dirt or bacteria that might be on the skin.
How to Make Peeling Sweet Potatoes Easier
There are a few things you can do to make peeling sweet potatoes easier:
- Cut them into smaller pieces. This will make them easier to handle and will also help them cook faster.
- Use a sharp knife. A dull knife will make it more difficult to peel the sweet potatoes and can also be dangerous.
- Soak them in water for a few minutes. This will help to soften the skin and make it easier to peel.
- Bake them first. As we mentioned, baking them will make the skins easier to remove.
How to Use Sweet Potato Skins?
If you do end up with sweet potato skins, don’t throw them away! There are actually a few different ways you can use them:
- Toss them in a salad
- Use them as a Garnish
- Make Sweet Potato Chips
- Add them to soup
How to Cook Sweet Potatoes?
Now that you know how to peel sweet potatoes, it’s time to learn how to cook them. Sweet potatoes are a versatile ingredient that can be used in a variety of recipes. Here are some of our favorites:
- Roasted Sweet Potatoes: Cut the sweet potatoes into even-sized pieces and toss with olive oil and your favorite spices. Then, roast in a preheated oven at 400 degrees Fahrenheit for 20-25 minutes.
- Mashed Sweet Potatoes: Peel and chop the sweet potatoes and add them to a pot of boiling water. Cook until they’re soft and then mash them with some butter, milk, and salt to taste.
- Sweet Potato Casserole: This classic holiday dish is made with mashed sweet potatoes, eggs, sugar, and spices. Top with a marshmallow-pecan topping and bake until golden brown.
- Sweet Potato Soup: This soup is made with roasted sweet potatoes, chicken broth, and spices. It’s perfect for a chilly day!
Health Benefits Of Sweet Potatoes
Sweet potatoes are not only delicious, but they’re also good for you! Here are some of the health benefits of sweet potatoes:
- They’re a good source of fiber.
- They’re packed with vitamins and minerals.
- They’re low in calories.
- They have a low glycemic index, which means they won’t cause a spike in blood sugar levels.
What Is Good About The Sweet Potato’s Skin?
The skin of the sweet potato is actually packed with nutrients! It’s a good source of fiber, vitamins, and minerals .
Is It Better to Peel Potatoes Wet or Dry?
It’s actually better to peel potatoes when they’re dry. Wet potatoes are more likely to slip out of your hand and can be more difficult to peel.
Is It Easier to Peel Potatoes After Boiling?
No, it’s not actually easier to peel potatoes after boiling. In fact, it can actually make them more difficult to peel.
Sweet potatoes are a delicious and healthy addition to any meal. And, now that you know how to peel sweet potatoes without a peeler, there’s no excuse not to add them to your menu! So, get cooking and enjoy all the benefits that sweet potatoes have to offer.
- McDonald’s Dollar Menu & Prices - March 18, 2023
- Sonic Drive Thru Menu & Prices - March 18, 2023
- What to Put on Toast? - March 18, 2023