Last Updated on September 14, 2022 by Lauren Beck
Flies can be a big problem in restaurants, not just for customers, but for staff as well. They can carry disease and contaminate food, which is why it’s important to get rid of them as quickly as possible. Here are a few tips on how to get rid of flies in your restaurant:
Table of Contents
How to Get Rid of Flies in Restaurant?
- Keep your restaurant clean – flies are attracted to dirty surfaces and garbage, so make sure to keep your floors, tables, and countertops clean. sweep and mop regularly, and don’t let food or garbage build up.
- Use fly traps – these can be very effective in getting rid of flies, especially if you put them in strategic locations around your restaurant.
- Use insecticide – if you have a fly problem that you can’t seem to get rid of, you may need to use an insecticide. Be sure to follow the directions carefully and only use products that are approved for use in restaurants.
- Keep doors and windows closed – flies can come into your restaurant through doors and windows, so make sure to keep them closed as much as possible.
- Use fans – flies don’t like moving air, so using fans in your restaurant can help to keep them away.
Following these tips can help you get rid of flies in your restaurant and keep them from coming back. If you have a persistent problem, you may need to contact a professional pest control company for help.
How To Keep Your Restaurant Fly Free?
If you want to keep your restaurant free of flies, it is important to practice good sanitation habits. Here are some tips on how to keep your restaurant clean and fly-free:
- Wash dishes promptly – don’t let dirty dishes pile up in the sink or on the counters. Flies will be attracted to the food and garbage on them, so wash them as soon as possible.
- Keep food covered – keep all food, both cooked and raw, covered at all times. This will prevent flies from getting to it and contaminating it.
- Throw out garbage regularly – don’t let garbage build up in your restaurant. Flies will be attracted to it, so make sure to throw it out regularly.
- Clean up spills immediately – if there is a spill, clean it up right away. Flies will be attracted to the food or drink that was spilled, so the sooner you clean it up, the better.
Following these tips can help you keep your restaurant clean and free of flies. If you have a persistent problem, you may need to contact a professional pest control company for help.
Different Types of Flies in a Restaurant
There are a few different types of flies that you might find in your restaurant:
- House flies – these are the most common type of fly found in restaurants. They are about 1/4 inch long and are black or gray in color. They are attracted to garbage and other sources of food.
- Fruit flies – these flies are small, about 1/8 inch long, and are often brown or tan in color. They are attracted to ripe fruit and other sweet things.
- Drain flies – these flies are small, about 1/4 inch long, and are often black or dark gray in color. They are attracted to damp places, like drains.
Getting rid of all different types of flies in your restaurant can be a challenge, but it is important to do. If you have a persistent problem, you may need to contact a professional pest control company for help.
Health Risks from Flies in Restaurants
Flies can pose a serious health risk to both customers and staff in a restaurant. They can carry disease and contaminate food, which can make people sick. Some of the diseases that flies can carry include:
- Salmonella - this is a bacteria that can cause food poisoning. It is often found in contaminated food, like raw meat or poultry.
- E. coli – this is a bacteria that can cause severe stomach cramps, diarrhea, and vomiting. It is often found in contaminated food, like raw meat or poultry.
- Flies can also carry other diseases, like tuberculosis and cholera.
How Flies Can Affect Your Business
Having flies in your restaurant can negatively impact your business in a number of ways:
- It can turn customers away – no one wants to eat in a restaurant that has flies buzzing around. If you have a fly problem, it can turn customers away and hurt your business.
- It can lead to health inspections – if flies are found in your restaurant during a health inspection, you could be fined or even shut down.
- It can damage your reputation – word will spread if your restaurant has a fly problem, and it can damage your reputation.
How Do Flies Contaminate Food?
Flies contaminate food in a number of ways:
- They can land on food – when a fly lands on food, it can transfer bacteria from its body to the food.
- They can vomit on food – when a fly vomits on food, it can transfer bacteria from its stomach to the food.
- They can defecate on food – when a fly defecates on food, it can transfer bacteria from its body to the food.
How Fast Do Flies Breed?
Flies can breed quickly and in large numbers. A female fly can lay up to 500 eggs at a time, and the eggs hatch into larvae within 24 hours. The larvae mature into adults within 7-10 days. This means that a small problem can quickly turn into a big one if it’s not dealt with right away.
Can you hang fly strips in a restaurant?
Yes, fly strips can be hung in a restaurant. This is often done in the kitchen to help keep flies out of the food preparation area.
Flies can be a serious problem in a restaurant. They can contaminate food and spread disease. Taking steps to keep your restaurant clean and free of flies is important for the health of your customers and staff, and for the success of your business. If you have a persistent problem, you may need to contact a professional pest control company for help.