Last Updated on April 14, 2023 by Lauren Beck
Fried rice is a staple dish in many cultures, and one of the key elements to making it perfect is using dry rice. Wet rice can make your fried rice mushy, so it’s important to know how to dry rice properly.
In this article, we’ll explore different ways how to dry rice for fried rice, why dry rice is better for fried rice, and how to make a perfect fried rice.
Different Ways to Dry Rice for Fried Rice
There are several ways to dry rice for fried rice, including:
- Air drying: Spread cooked rice in a thin layer on a baking sheet and let it dry at room temperature for several hours until it’s completely dry.
- Fridge drying: Spread cooked rice in a thin layer on a baking sheet and let it dry in the fridge for several hours until it’s completely dry.
- Freezer drying: Spread cooked rice in a thin layer on a baking sheet and let it dry in the freezer for 30-60 minutes until it’s completely dry.
Why Is Dry Rice Better For Fried Rice?
Dry rice is better for fried rice because it helps to create a crispy texture and prevents the rice from becoming mushy. When rice is wet, it can stick together and become clumpy, which makes it difficult to achieve the desired texture in fried rice.
How To Make a Perfect Fried Rice?
Now that we’ve covered why dry rice is important for fried rice, let’s talk about how to make the perfect fried rice. Here’s a basic recipe :
- 2 cups cooked and dried rice
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 cup of vegetables (such as carrots, peas, and corn)
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add the garlic and onion and sauté for 1-2 minutes until fragrant.
- Add the vegetables and sauté for 2-3 minutes until tender.
- Push the vegetables to one side of the skillet and add the beaten eggs to the other side. Scramble the eggs until cooked.
- Add the rice and soy sauce to the skillet and stir until everything is well combined.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Cook for an additional 2-3 minutes until the rice is heated through and slightly crispy.
- Serve hot, and enjoy!
Tips For Making Perfect Rice For Fried Rice
Here are some tips for making perfect rice for fried rice:
- Use long-grain rice: Long-grain rice is less starchy than short-grain rice, which makes it ideal for fried rice.
- Use day-old rice: Day-old rice is drier and easier to work with than freshly cooked rice. It’s also less likely to become mushy when stir-fried.
- Rinse the rice: Rinse the rice before cooking to remove excess starch and prevent it from becoming too sticky.
- Cook the rice in less water: Cook the rice in slightly less water than you would normally use to prevent it from becoming too moist.
Does Rice Need to Be Cold for Fried Rice?
Yes, rice should be cold for fried rice. Cold rice is drier and less likely to clump together, which makes it easier to stir-fry and create the desired texture.
How Do You Dry Rice Quickly?
If you need to dry rice quickly, you can spread it out in a thin layer on a baking sheet and dry it in the freezer for 30-60 minutes. Alternatively, you can use a fan to blow air over the rice to help dry it faster.
Can You Use The Same Day Rice For Fried Rice?
While it’s possible to use same-day rice for fried rice, it’s not ideal. Same-day rice is still moist and may clump together when stir-fried, resulting in a mushy texture. If you don’t have leftover rice, you can dry freshly cooked rice by spreading it out in a thin layer on a baking sheet and letting it cool in the fridge for a few hours before using it.
Why Is Leftover Rice Better For Fried Rice?
Leftover rice is better for fried rice because it has had time to dry out in the fridge, which makes it easier to work with and creates a better texture. Additionally, leftover rice has had time to cool down, which helps prevent it from becoming too sticky when stir-fried.
How Long Does Rice Have To Sit For Fried Rice?
Rice should sit in the fridge for at least 1-2 hours to dry out before using it for fried rice. However, if you have the time, it’s best to let it sit overnight to ensure that it’s completely dry and easy to work with.
In conclusion, drying rice is an important step in making perfect fried rice. Wet rice can make your fried rice mushy, so it’s important to use dry rice to achieve the desired texture. There are several ways to dry rice, including air drying, fridge drying, and freeze drying. Leftover rice is better for fried rice than same-day rice because it has had time to dry out in the fridge and is easier to work with. With these tips, you’ll be able to make the perfect fried rice every time.