Last Updated on August 17, 2022 by Lauren Beck
Mexico is a beautiful country with many interesting customs. One of these customs is the drinking age. In Mexico, the legal drinking age is 18. However, some bars and nightclubs will not allow entry to people under the age of 21. It is always best to check with the individual establishment before going out for a night on the town.
While the drinking age in Mexico is lower than in many other countries, it is still important to drink responsibly. Binge drinking and driving under the influence are both illegal and can lead to serious consequences. If you are planning on drinking while in Mexico, be sure to do so safely and responsibly.
Best Mexico Travel Tips
Here are a few of our best tips for traveling to Mexico:
- Learn some basic Spanish. While many people in Mexico do speak English, it is always appreciated when visitors take the time to learn some key phrases in Spanish.
- Dress conservatively. In general, it is best to dress conservatively while traveling in Mexico. This means avoiding shorts, tank tops, and other revealing clothing.
- Be aware of your surroundings. As with any country, it is important to be aware of your surroundings and take precautions to stay safe. This includes not walking alone at night, keeping your belongings close to you, and being cautious when using ATMs.
- Drink responsibly. As mentioned above, the drinking age in Mexico is lower than in many other countries. However, it is still important to drink responsibly. Binge drinking and driving under the influence are both illegal and can lead to serious consequences.
- Have fun! Mexico is a beautiful country with a lot to offer visitors. Be sure to take advantage of all it has to offer and have a great time!
Penalties for minors drinking in Mexico
While the drinking age in Mexico is lower than in many other countries, minors caught drinking can still face penalties . These can include a fine, community service, and/or a temporary loss of driving privileges. Additionally, if a minor is caught buying alcohol, the seller can also be fined.
It is important to note that these penalties are typically only enforced if the minor is caught drinking in public. If they are caught drinking in a private setting, such as at home or in a bar, they are unlikely to face any consequences.
Best Bars in Mexico
Now that you know the drinking age in Mexico, it’s time to find a bar! Here are a few of our favorites:
- La Cerveceria de Barrio: This popular chain of bars is known for its great atmosphere and wide selection of beers.
- Barra Libre: This hipster bar is perfect for people looking for a relaxed vibe and good music.
- El Centenario: This traditional Mexican bar is a great place to drink tequila and listen to live music.
- La Casa de las Sirenas: This unique bar is decorated with mermaids and offers a great view of the ocean.
- La Unica: This popular bar is known for its affordable drinks and friendly staff.
Whether you’re looking for a traditional Mexican bar or a hipster hangout, there’s sure to be a bar in Mexico that’s perfect for you. Just remember to drink responsibly!
Can a U.S. Citizen Under 21 Drink in Mexico?
Yes, a U.S. citizen under the age of 21 can drink in Mexico. However, they may not be able to enter certain bars and nightclubs. It is always best to check with the individual establishment before going out for a night on the town. Additionally, it is important to drink responsibly and be aware of your surroundings while in Mexico.
What is the Youngest Legal Drinking Age in the World?
The youngest legal drinking age in the world is 18. This is the case in a number of countries, including Argentina, Belgium, and Germany. In some places, such as Spain and Portugal, the drinking age is even lower, at just 16. However, it is important to note that many of these countries have restrictions on where and how alcohol can be consumed by minors. For example, in Germany, minors are not allowed to drink in bars or nightclubs. So, while the drinking age may be lower than in other countries, it is still important to be aware of the laws and regulations regarding alcohol consumption.
Can you bring alcohol home from a Mexican vacation?
Yes, you can bring alcohol home from a Mexican vacation. However, there are limits on how much you can bring. For example, travelers to the United States from Mexico are allowed to bring up to one liter of alcohol per person into the country. It is also important to note that some airlines have restrictions on how much alcohol can be carried on a plane. So, be sure to check with your airline before packing your bags for your trip home.
The drinking age in Mexico is 18. However, it is still important to drink responsibly. Binge drinking and driving under the influence are both illegal and can lead to serious consequences.
Have fun! Mexico is a beautiful country with a lot to offer visitors. Be sure to take advantage of all it has to offer and have a great time! Just be sure to drink responsibly.