Last Updated on February 23, 2024 by Lauren Beck
If you are unsure about the appropriate cooking time for beef short ribs in the oven, it will be influenced by several factors. These include the type of ribs, their size, and the desired level of doneness. For instance, boneless beef short ribs will require a shorter cooking time compared to ribs with bones.
In general, beef short ribs should be cooked at a low temperature for a long period of time to ensure they are tender and juicy. This means that cooking times will vary depending on the recipe, but they typically range from 3-5 hours.
How To Bake Beef Short Ribs In The Oven?
Here is a guide on how to cook beef short ribs in the oven, regardless of the recipe you’re following.
- 1-2 pounds beef short ribs
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup red wine
- 2 cups beef broth
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Season the beef short ribs with salt and pepper. Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat and add the olive oil.
- Once hot, add the beef short ribs to the skillet and brown on all sides. This will take about 5 minutes per side.
- Remove the beef short ribs from the skillet and add the onion. Cook the onion until it’s translucent, then add the garlic and cook for an additional minute.
- Add the red wine to deglaze the pan and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the beef broth and bring to a simmer.
- Place the beef short ribs in a roasting pan or oven-safe dish and pour the sauce over top.
- Cover with foil or a lid and bake in the oven for 3-5 hours, or until the beef short ribs are fork-tender.
- Once finished cooking, remove from oven and let rest for 5-10 minutes before serving. Enjoy!
What Are Beef Short Ribs?
Beef short ribs are a type of meat that comes from the cow’s ribcage. They are usually cut into 2-3 inch lengths and contain a higher amount of fat than other cuts of beef, which makes them ideal for slow cooking methods like braising.
When cooked properly, beef short ribs can be extremely tender and juicy. They are often served with a variety of sides, such as mashed potatoes, roasted vegetables, or a salad.
5 Ways to Cook Beef Short Ribs
- Braising: Braising is a method of cooking where the meat is first browned in a pan, then cooked in liquid (usually broth or wine) at a low temperature for a long period of time. This method results in very tender and juicy meat.
- Roasting: Roasting beef short ribs is similar to braising, but the meat is not browned first. The meat is simply placed in a roasting pan with liquid and cooked at a low temperature for several hours.
- Barbecuing: Barbecuing beef short ribs is a great way to get that smoky flavor without having to use a grill. Simply cook the ribs in a smoker or barbecue pit for 3-4 hours, or until they are tender.
- Sous Vide: Sous vide is a method of cooking where the food is sealed in a vacuum-sealed bag and cooked in a water bath at a very precise temperature . This method results in perfectly cooked meat every time.
- Slow Cooker: Slow cooking beef short ribs is a great way to get tender and juicy meat without having to do much work. Simply add the beef short ribs, liquid, and seasonings to a slow cooker and cook on low for 6-8 hours, or until the meat is cooked through.
How to Serve Short Ribs?
There are many ways to serve short ribs. They can be served with mashed potatoes, roasted vegetables, a salad, or simply by themselves. Short ribs can also be shred and used in tacos, burritos, or sandwiches.
What Is the Best Temperature to Cook Ribs At?
The best temperature to cook beef short ribs at is between 325-350 degrees Fahrenheit. This range of temperatures will ensure that the meat is cooked through without drying out.
How Long Should Ribs Cook for in the Oven?
Beef short ribs should cook in the oven for 3-5 hours, or until they are fork-tender.
Difference Between Beef Short Ribs and Beef Back Ribs
Beef short ribs are cut from the cow’s ribcage, while beef back ribs are cut from the cow’s spine. Beef short ribs are usually larger and contain more fat than beef back ribs.
Beef short ribs are best cooked using slow cooking methods like braising or roasting, while beef back ribs are best cooked using quick cooking methods like grilling or baking.
Beef short ribs are typically served with a variety of sides, while beef back ribs are often served as is.
Beef short ribs are a type of meat that come from the cow’s ribcage. They are usually cut into 2-3 inch lengths and contain a higher amount of fat than other cuts of beef, which makes them ideal for slow cooking methods like braising. When cooked properly, beef short ribs can be extremely tender and juicy. There are many ways to cook beef short ribs, such as braising, roasting, barbecuing, sous vide, or slow cooking.