Last Updated on July 20, 2023 by Lauren Beck
Bacon, a cured meat made from pork belly, is beloved for its salty, savory flavor and crispy texture. It’s a popular breakfast item and versatile topping.
Bacon comes in pre-cooked and uncooked forms. Thawed uncooked bacon lasts 2 days in the fridge, while cooked bacon lasts 4 days.
How Long Is Bacon Good for in the Fridge After Opening?
If you have opened a package of bacon that is not fully used, it will be good for up to 1 week in the fridge. Bacon can be stored in the freezer for up to 2 months.
How to Thaw Bacon Safely?
There are three safe ways to thaw bacon: in the refrigerator, in cold water, or in the microwave.
- In the refrigerator: Place bacon on a plate or in a shallow dish and place it in the fridge. Allow 12 hours for every pound of bacon.
- In cold water: Place bacon in a resealable plastic bag and submerge it in cold water. Change the water every 30 minutes to keep it cold. Allow 1 hour for every pound of bacon.
- In the microwave: Place bacon on a plate and cover it with a paper towel. Microwave on the defrost setting for 30 seconds at a time until thawed.
Once thawed, cook bacon within 2 days.
How Long Is Homemade Bacon Good For?
Homemade bacon will be good for up to 2 weeks in the fridge or up to 6 months in the freezer.
Bacon is a versatile and delicious meat that can be enjoyed in many different dishes. When stored properly, it can last for several days or even weeks.
Be sure to follow these storage guidelines to ensure that your bacon stays fresh and delicious.
How Long Does Vacuum Sealed Bacon Last in Freezer?
Thawed bacon that is sealed in airtight packaging can be stored in the fridge for up to one week.
However, you should cook thawed bacon within two days to ensure food safety.
Does Bacon Go Bad?
Bacon is a cured meat that has been preserved through smoking, salting, or curing.
When stored properly, bacon can last for several weeks in the fridge or up to six months in the freezer. However, bacon will eventually go bad and develop off-flavors.
The best way to tell if bacon has gone bad is by inspecting the color and texture of the meat.
If the bacon is gray or green in color, it has started to spoil and should be thrown out. In addition, bacon that has developed an off-putting odor should also be discarded.
Ways to Cook Bacon
Bacon can be cooked in a variety of ways, including frying, baking, and microwaving . For best results, cook bacon until it is crisp and evenly browned.
- Skillet or pan on the stove: Place bacon in a cold skillet or pan and heat to medium-low. Cook for about 10 minutes, flipping the bacon strips occasionally.
- Microwave: Place bacon on a microwave-safe plate lined with paper towels. Cook on high power for about 1 minute per strip.
- Oven: Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C). Place bacon on a wire rack placed over a baking sheet and bake for about 15 minutes.
Can You Put Thawed Bacon Back in the Fridge?
Yes, you can refrigerate thawed bacon. Ensure it’s properly wrapped or stored in an airtight container. Use it within a few days for optimal freshness and safety.
Bacon, a delightful and adaptable culinary delight, holds a special place in our hearts. Nevertheless, we must heed its perishable nature, consuming it within a few weeks of purchase.
Thawed bacon, when stored appropriately, endures for approximately one week in the fridge. Achieve optimal results by cooking bacon to an irresistible crispness and even browning.
Savor the delectable flavors and textures of properly stored and expertly cooked bacon, ensuring a gratifying experience that leaves taste buds rejoicing.
Remember, indulging in bacon at its peak freshness is the key to unlocking its full potential.