Last Updated on October 5, 2022 by Lauren Beck
Spam is safe to eat indefinitely if it has been unopened and stored properly, according to the United States Department of Agriculture. However, once opened, spam only lasts three to five days before it begins to spoil. For the best quality, consume spam within two weeks of opening. After that time, it will begin to dry out and lose its flavor. Spam can still be eaten after this point, but it will not be as enjoyable. When in doubt, throw it out. Better safe than sorry!
What Is Spam?
Spam is a canned meat product made by Hormel Foods Corporation. It is typically made from pork, although chicken and beef are sometimes used as well. Spam is high in sodium and fat, and it is often criticized for being an unhealthy food. However, it can be a convenient and affordable option when you need a quick meal. Spam is most commonly eaten as a sandwich filling, but it can also be used in a variety of other dishes.
Spam was first introduced in 1937 and became popular during World War II , when it was a cheap and convenient way to feed large groups of people. Spam has continued to be popular in the years since, although its reputation has somewhat declined. In recent years, there has been a resurgence of interest in Spam, due in part to its kitschy appeal. Whether you love it or hate it, there’s no denying that Spam is a cultural icon.
Tips on how to store Spam
Here are some tips from the USDA on how to store Spam:
- Spam can be stored at room temperature, either in its original packaging or in a sealed container.
- Once opened, spam should be eaten within three to five days.
- To extend the shelf life of opened spam, store it in a covered container in the refrigerator.
- Spam should be thrown out if it begins to dry out or develop mold.
How to Tell If Spam Is Bad After Opening
If spam has been stored properly and has not exceeded its expiration date, it should be safe to eat. However, there are a few signs that you can look for to tell if spam has gone bad:
- The color of the meat may change from pink to grayish-brown.
- The texture of the meat may become dry or crumbly.
- The meat may develop an off-putting odor.
If you notice any of these signs, it is best to throw the spam away.
Can You Refrigerate Unused Spam?
Yes, you can refrigerate unused spam. Just be sure to store it in a covered container to keep it fresh. Once opened, spam will only last for three to five days in the fridge, so eat it up quickly!
You can also freeze spam. Just be sure to wrap it tightly in plastic wrap or place it in a freezer-safe bag. Frozen spam will last for two to three months. When you’re ready to eat it, thaw the spam in the fridge overnight and heat it up before eating.
How Long Does Opened Spam Last in the Fridge?
Opened spam will last in the fridge for three to five days. Be sure to store it in a covered container to keep it fresh. After that time, the spam will begin to dry out and lose its flavor. It can still be eaten after this point, but it will not be as enjoyable.
How to Thaw Spam
Tips on how to thaw Spam:
- Spam can be thawed in the refrigerator overnight or at room temperature for a few hours.
- You can also cook spam from frozen. Just add an extra minute or two to the cooking time.
- Never thaw spam at room temperature on the countertop. This can cause bacteria to grow and make the spam unsafe to eat.
Can You Eat Expired SPAM?
If spam has been stored properly and has not exceeded its expiration date, it should be safe to eat. However, the quality of the meat will decline over time. After the expiration date, spam may become dry or crumbly and lose its flavor. It can still be eaten after this point, but it will not be as enjoyable. When in doubt, throw it out!
Is Spam a good emergency food?
Spam can be a good emergency food because it has a long shelf life. Once opened, Spam will last for about two weeks in the fridge. This is much longer than most other types of meat, which only last a few days after being opened. So, if you are ever in a situation where you need to scavenge for food, Spam can be a good option. Just make sure to check the expiration date before you eat it!
Spam is a delicious and convenient food that has been around for centuries. However, it does have a short shelf life once opened. Be sure to check the expiration date before eating Spam and always store it in a covered container in the fridge. With these tips, you can enjoy Spam for weeks to come!
- How Does Caviar Taste? - March 29, 2023
- What Is Good Candy to Eat? - March 29, 2023
- What Is the Hottest Food in the World? - March 29, 2023