Last Updated on April 15, 2023 by Lauren Beck
Birria is a popular Mexican dish that has gained immense popularity in recent years, and for a good reason. The savory and spicy stew made with meat, spices, and other ingredients is perfect for warming up on a cold day.
But, like any other food, birria has a shelf life, and you may be wondering how long it lasts in the fridge.
What Is Birria?
Before diving into how long birria lasts in the fridge, let’s define what it is. Birria is a traditional Mexican stew made with beef, lamb, or goat meat that has been marinated in a blend of spices, chilies, and herbs.
The meat is then slow-cooked until it is tender and falling apart, making it perfect for dipping into with tortillas or adding to tacos, burritos, or bowls.
How Long Does Birria Last in the Fridge?
Birria can last up to 4-5 days in the fridge when stored properly. It is important to store birria in an airtight container in the coldest part of your fridge or freezer to extend its shelf life.
You can also prepare birria ahead of time or freeze it for later use.
How Long Does Birria Last?
Birria is a perishable food, and its shelf life depends on how it’s stored. When stored in the fridge, birria can last up to 4-5 days.
However, this is just an estimate, and the actual shelf life can vary based on the type of meat used, the freshness of the ingredients, and the way it was cooked.
How Long Can Birria Be Left Out at Room Temperature?
It is not recommended to leave birria out at room temperature for more than two hours.
Bacteria can grow rapidly in foods that are left out at room temperature, which can cause food poisoning. To keep your birria safe to eat, storing it in the fridge or freezer is best.
Ways To Store Birria
There are a few ways to store birria to ensure it lasts as long as possible:
- Store birria in an airtight container to keep air and moisture out
- Label the container with the date you made the birria so you can keep track of its shelf life
- Store the birria in the coldest part of your fridge, which is usually the back of the bottom shelf
- If you have a large batch of birria, divide it into smaller portions and store them in separate containers
Can I Freeze Birria?
Yes, you can freeze birria! In fact, freezing birria is a great way to extend its shelf life. Birria can be frozen for up to three months, and when you’re ready to eat it, simply thaw it in the fridge overnight and reheat it on the stovetop or microwave.
How To Tell if Birria Has Gone Bad?
If your birria has been stored in the fridge for over five days or left at room temperature for over two hours, it may have gone bad. Here are some signs to look out for:
- Foul smell
- Slimy or mushy texture
- Changes in color
- Unusual taste
If you notice any of these signs, it’s best to discard the birria to avoid the risk of food poisoning.
Can Vegetarians and Vegans Enjoy Birria?
Traditionally, birria is made with meat, but vegetarian and vegan versions are becoming increasingly popular. These versions typically use mushrooms or jackfruit as a meat substitute and are just as delicious as the original.
What Will I Need To Make Birria?
To make birria, you’ll need the following ingredients:
- Meat (beef, lamb, or goat)
- Dried chili peppers (such as guajillo or ancho)
- Spices (such as cumin, oregano, and garlic powder)
- Tomato paste
- Beef broth
- Bay leaves
How To Make Birria?
Here’s a quick recipe for making birria :
- Begin by soaking the dried chili peppers in hot water for 10-15 minutes until they become soft.
- Remove the stems and seeds from the peppers and blend them with the tomato paste, onion, garlic, and spices in a blender until smooth.
- In a large pot, sear the meat on all sides until browned.
- Add the chili pepper mixture to the pot and stir until the meat is coated.
- Add the beef broth, bay leaves, and salt to the pot and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to low, cover the pot, and let it simmer for 3-4 hours or until the meat is tender and falls apart.
- Once cooked, remove the meat from the pot and shred it using a fork.
- Serve the birria with tortillas, lime wedges, chopped onion, and cilantro.
Can I Prepare Birria Ahead Of Time?
Yes, you can prepare birria ahead of time. In fact, birria tastes even better the next day as the flavors have had more time to meld together.
Store the birria in an airtight container in the fridge and reheat it on the stovetop or microwave when you’re ready to eat it.
What Is The Difference Between Birria and Barbacoa?
Birria and barbacoa are both Mexican meat stews, but they have some differences.
Barbacoa is traditionally made with beef cheek or head meat and is cooked slowly over an open fire or buried in the ground, while birria is made with beef, lamb, or goat meat and is cooked in a pot on the stovetop.
Additionally, birria has a thicker, spicier broth than barbacoa.
Birria is a delicious and flavorful Mexican stew that can last up to 4-5 days in the fridge when stored properly. It’s best to store birria in an airtight container in the coldest part of your fridge or freezer to extend its shelf life. You can also prepare birria ahead of time or freeze it for later use. And if you’re a vegetarian or vegan, you can still enjoy birria by making a meatless version. So, go ahead and try making birria at home with our recipe and tips, and impress your family and friends with your culinary skills!