Last Updated on April 14, 2023 by Lauren Beck
Who doesn’t love a good bowl of beef stew on a chilly night? It’s a hearty and comforting dish that can warm you up from the inside out. But what do you do if you have leftovers? How long can you keep beef stew in the fridge before it goes bad?
In this article, we’ll answer all your questions about how long beef stew lasts in the fridge and freezer, how to store it properly, and how to know when it’s time to throw it out.
How Long Does Beef Stew Last in the Fridge?
If you have leftover beef stew, you may be wondering how long it will last in the fridge. The good news is that if you store it properly, beef stew can last for up to five days in the fridge. After that, it’s time to throw it out.
How Long Is Stew In The Fridge Good For?
As mentioned, beef stew can last for up to five days in the fridge. Store your beef stew in an airtight container in the fridge to ensure that it stays fresh for as long as possible.
If you don’t have an airtight container, you can use plastic wrap or aluminum foil to cover the stew.
How Long Does Cooked Beef Stew Last in the Freezer?
If you want to keep your beef stew for longer than five days, you can freeze it. Cooked beef stew can last for up to four months in the freezer.
How Long Does Cooked Beef Stew Last After Being Frozen and Thawed?
After being frozen and thawed, cooked beef stew can last for up to two days in the fridge. If you’re not planning to eat it within two days, it’s best to freeze it again.
How To Freeze Beef Stew?
To freeze beef stew, let it cool completely before transferring it to an airtight container. You can also use freezer bags, but make sure to remove as much air as possible before sealing the bag. Label the container or bag with the date so that you can keep track of how long it has been in the freezer .
How Long Does Stew Last At Room Temperature?
It’s important to never leave beef stew out at room temperature for more than two hours. Bacteria can grow rapidly at room temperature, which can cause food poisoning. Always refrigerate or freeze beef stew as soon as possible after cooking or reheating it.
How To Know If Beef Stew Has Gone Bad?
There are a few signs that your beef stew has gone bad. If you notice any of these signs, it’s time to throw it out. These signs include:
- Foul odor
- Slimy texture
- Off-color or appearance
- Bubbling or fermentation
Tips On Storing Beef Stew
To ensure that your beef stew stays fresh for as long as possible, follow these tips:
- Store it in an airtight container in the fridge
- Label the container with the date
- Freeze it in portions so that you can thaw only what you need
- Don’t leave it out at room temperature for more than two hours
- Don’t overcrowd the fridge or freezer with other items, which can affect the temperature
How To Reheat Beef Stew?
To reheat the beef stew, you can use the stovetop, oven, or microwave. Here’s how to do it:
- Stovetop: Heat the beef stew in a saucepan over medium heat, occasionally stirring, until it’s heated through.
- Oven: Preheat the oven to 350°F. Transfer the beef stew to an oven-safe dish and cover it with foil. Bake for 20-30 minutes or until heated through.
- Microwave: Transfer the beef stew to a microwave-safe dish and cover it with a microwave-safe lid or plastic wrap. Heat on high for 2-3 minutes, occasionally stirring, until it’s heated through.
How Many Times Can You Reheat Beef Stew Stew?
You can reheat beef stew as many times as you like as long as you follow proper food safety guidelines. When reheating, make sure that the stew reaches an internal temperature of at least 165°F to kill any bacteria that may have grown.
Is Stew Ok After Five Days?
Beef stew can last for up to five days in the fridge, but it’s always best to use your judgment. If it looks or smells off, or if you’re unsure about its freshness, it’s better to err on the side of caution and throw it out.
Common Mistakes That Make Beef Stew Go Bad in the Fridge
A few common mistakes can cause beef stew to go bad in the fridge. These include:
- Not storing it in an airtight container
- Leaving it out at room temperature for too long
- Overcrowding the fridge with other items can affect the temperature
- Not reheating it properly
Beef stew is a delicious and comforting dish, but it’s important to store it properly to ensure its freshness and safety. If you follow the guidelines outlined in this article, you can enjoy your beef stew for up to five days in the fridge or up to four months in the freezer. Always use your judgment when it comes to food safety; if you’re unsure about the freshness of your beef stew, it’s better to throw it out.