Last Updated on December 11, 2022 by Lauren Beck
If you’re asking whether cheese is traditionally used as a topping for fajitas, then the answer is no. Fajitas are typically made with grilled vegetables and meat, such as steak or chicken. However, many people do enjoy adding cheese to their fajitas. Whether you use shredded cheddar, queso fresco or another type of cheese is up to you.
Cheese adds a delicious creaminess and saltiness to fajitas, so it can be a great way to enhance the flavors if you’re looking for something different. If you do decide to add cheese, there are several ways you could do it: sprinkle some on top of the finished dish, melt it into the vegetables while they’re cooking, or simply serve it separately as a side.
So do you put cheese on fajitas? It’s totally up to you! Adding cheese can be a great way to take your fajitas to the next level, so don’t hesitate to experiment and find out what you like best.
What Cheese Goes Best On Fajitas?
Queso fresco is one of the most popular cheeses to use on fajitas. Its mild flavor, creamy texture and salty notes make it a great choice for enhancing the flavors in this dish. Queso blanco and cotija are also good options, as they both have a similar flavor profile. Shredded cheddar and Monterey Jack are also great choices for topping your fajitas. Whichever cheese you choose, make sure to add it at the end of cooking so that it doesn’t melt away!
How to Make Cheesy Chicken Fajitas?
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, sliced
- 2 bell peppers, sliced
- 1 jalapeno pepper, diced (optional)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into strips
- 1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Flour tortillas, for serving
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and peppers and cook until softened, about 5 minutes
- Add the garlic, cumin, chili powder and a pinch of salt and pepper. Stir to combine
- Add the chicken strips to the skillet and cook until no longer pink, about 10 minutes
- Remove from heat and stir in the shredded cheese until melted
- Serve on warm flour tortillas with your favorite toppings (sour cream, salsa, guacamole, etc.)
6 Best Fajita Toppings
Here are some of our favorite fajita toppings:
- Sour cream
- Sliced jalapenos
- Chopped tomatoes
- Shredded lettuce
Try these toppings with your cheesy fajitas for a truly delicious and flavorful meal.
How Are Fajitas Traditionally Served?
Fajitas are typically served with warm tortillas and a variety of condiments such as sour cream, salsa, guacamole, and shredded cheese. They can also be served with refried beans, rice and/or grilled vegetables. The traditional way to eat fajitas is to fill the tortilla with your desired toppings and then roll it up.
What Vegetables Can You Put in Fajita?
Fajitas are traditionally made with bell peppers, onions and mushrooms. You can also include other vegetables such as zucchini, squash or carrots for additional flavor and texture. Grilled corn is another great option for adding a bit of sweetness to the dish.
How Many Calories Are in Chicken Fajitas?
A single serving of chicken fajitas (without tortillas or condiments) contains about 200 – 300 calories. This amount can vary depending on the ingredients and toppings used, so be sure to check the nutritional information before you indulge !
Do you put cheese on fajitas? Yes, cheese is a popular topping for fajitas, as it adds a delicious creaminess and saltiness to the dish. Depending on your tastes, you can choose from several different types of cheese such as queso fresco, cotija, cheddar or Monterey Jack.
- How to Make Congee With Leftover Rice? - May 30, 2023
- Can I Use Condensed Creamer Instead of Condensed Milk? - May 30, 2023
- How to Fix Mushy Meatloaf After Cooking? - May 30, 2023