Last Updated on November 25, 2022 by Lauren Beck
Cracker Barrel Turnip Greens is a delicious southern side dish recipe that is full of flavor and nutrition. This dish is made with fresh turnip greens, bacon, onion, garlic, chicken broth, and seasonings. It can be served as a side dish or main entrée. The ingredients are simple but the result is simply amazing! To make this dish even more delectable, try adding a splash of apple cider vinegar or hot sauce.
How to Make Cracker Barrel Turnip Greens?
- 4 slices bacon, cut into 1/2-inch strips
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 bunches fresh turnip greens, trimmed and coarsely chopped
- 3 cups chicken broth
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat and add bacon. Cook until crisp, stirring occasionally.
- Add the onion and garlic and cook until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add the turnip greens to the skillet and stir to coat with bacon fat.
- Pour in the chicken broth and season with salt and pepper.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer, covered, for 10-15 minutes until the greens are tender.
- Serve warm with your favorite sides. Enjoy!
This cracker barrel turnip greens recipe is a fantastic way to include more leafy greens in your diet. With its savory flavors and delightful texture, this dish is sure to become a family favorite. Try it out today and see what you think!
What to Serve With Cracker Barrel Turnip Greens?
This dish pairs beautifully with a variety of sides such as mashed potatoes, cornbread, coleslaw, and more. It also goes great with roasted or grilled meats like pork chops or chicken. This cracker barrel turnip greens recipe makes an excellent side dish for any occasion!
How to Reheat Cracker Barrel Turnip Greens?
- On the Stove: Place leftovers in a saucepan over medium heat. Add a splash of chicken broth and cook until heated through, stirring occasionally.
- In the Microwave: Place leftovers in a microwave-safe dish and cover with lid or wax paper. Heat on high for 1-2 minutes, stirring halfway through heating time.
- On the Hotpot: Place leftovers in a hotpot and cook for 2-3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
How to Store Cracker Barrel Turnip Greens?
Store cracker barrel turnip greens in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
To freeze, let cool completely and place in a freezer-safe container or zip-top bag. Store for up to 3 months. To reheat, thaw overnight in the refrigerator before using one of the reheating methods listed above.
What to Use Instead of Ham Hock?
If you don’t have a ham hock, you can use bacon or smoked turkey instead. Both will provide a smoky flavor and can be cooked along with the rest of the ingredients.
Can You Make Turnip Greens in Pressure Cooker?
Yes, you can make cracker barrel turnip greens in a pressure cooker. Place all the ingredients in the pot, cook on high for 5 minutes, and let the pressure release naturally before serving.
What Is the Difference Between Collard Greens and Turnip Greens?
Collard greens and turnip greens are both leafy green vegetables belonging to the same family. Collard greens have a slightly bitter flavor, while turnip greens are milder in taste. Turnip greens have a more tender texture than collards, so they don’t require as much cooking time.
Both of these leafy greens can be used in a variety of dishes, but cracker barrel turnip greens is one of the tastiest! This dish uses fresh turnip greens, bacon, onion, garlic, chicken broth and seasonings to create a savory side dish that will have everyone coming back for more.
Where to Buy Turnip Greens?
Turnip greens can usually be found in the produce section of most grocery stores. Look for fresh, vibrant-looking greens without any wilting or yellowing leaves.
If you are unable to find turnip greens at your local store, you can also try farmer’s markets or specialty produce shops. You can also find it online  at some grocery delivery services.
What Meat Are You Using for Cracker Barrel Turnip Greens?
This cracker barrel turnip greens recipe calls for one ham hock, which adds a smoky flavor to the dish. If you don’t have access to a ham hock, you can use bacon or smoked turkey instead.
To get the full cracker barrel taste, be sure to season with salt and pepper before serving. This dish is sure to please your family and friends!
This cracker barrel turnip greens recipe is sure to become a new family favorite! With its savory flavors and delightful texture, it pairs beautifully with a variety of sides. You’ll love the smoky flavor that the ham hock adds to this dish.
- Where To Source High-Quality Fresh Produce For Your Restaurant - March 20, 2023
- McDonald’s Dollar Menu & Prices - March 18, 2023
- Sonic Drive Thru Menu & Prices - March 18, 2023