Last Updated on December 3, 2022 by Lauren Beck
If you’re looking for a quick and easy way to make jello, you can definitely use a plastic bowl. The type of plastic that can be used depends on the type of jello you’re making. For instance, if you are using traditional gelatin-based jello, then you can use any type of plastic bowl that is not metal or ceramic. However, if you are making a sugar-free jello with artificial sweeteners, it is recommended that you use a plastic bowl made of Polypropylene (PP). This type of plastic can withstand temperatures up to 175 degrees Fahrenheit, which can be reached when boiling water for your jello mixture.
What Is the Best Container to Make Jello?
- Glass container: If you can find a glass bowl or baking dish that is heat proof, then it can be used to make jello. Glass can withstand a wide range of temperatures, which makes it ideal for making jello. Plus, depending on the type and size of your container, you can have a variety of shapes and sizes when it comes to the finished jello.
- Plastic container: If you can’t find a heat-proof glass bowl, then plastic can be used too. As long as the type of plastic can withstand the temperatures of boiling water, it can be used to make jello. Just make sure that you are using a plastic container made from Polypropylene (PP) to avoid any potential leaching of chemicals into your jello.
- Metal container: Metal can also be used when making jello, however, it is not recommended as metal can leach into the food. If you must use a metal container, make sure that it is either stainless steel or aluminum; these metals can withstand higher temperatures and are less likely to leach into your food.
How To Make Jello Mold?
- 1 box of jello
- 2 cups boiling water
- 2 cups cold water
- Grease a bowl or mold with butter, then pour in your jello mix.
- Boil 2 cups of water and add to the jello mix, stirring until completely dissolved.
- Add 2 cups of cold water and stir until incorporated.
- Refrigerate until completely set (about 4 hours).
- Unmold your jello onto a plate and serve!
Jello Mold Tips
Here are a few tips to help you make the perfect jello mold:
- Use room temperature or cold water when combining with your jello mix, as this can help the mixture set faster.
- Grease your mold or bowl with butter before pouring in the jello mix so it can easily unmold once chilled and set.
- Let your jello set in the refrigerator for at least 4 hours before attempting to unmold it.
- For a fun twist, add fresh fruit, mini marshmallows or sprinkles to the jello mix before refrigerating.
Can You Use a Glass Bowl as a Jello Mold?
Yes, you can use a glass bowl as a jello mold. Just make sure the bowl can withstand high temperatures and is heat-proof so that it can contain boiling water for your jello mixture. Be careful when unmolding your jello from the glass bowl, however, as glass can break if not handled properly.
How Do You Separate Jello From Mold?
To unmold your jello from the mold, simply run a knife around the edges of the jello to separate it from the container. Then, dip the bottom of the container in warm water for 10-15 seconds, and then slowly turn over onto a plate or cutting board. The jello should come out cleanly! If you can’t achieve this, you can also try cutting the jello into slices and then serving.
How to Make Jello Set Faster?
If you want to make your jello set faster, try using cold or room temperature water when making the mixture. Adding more gelatin can also help the jello set faster. Lastly, let the jello set in a cooler area and refrigerate for as long as possible – at least 4 hours. This can help speed up the process of setting.
Can You Cover Jello Before It Sets?
Yes, you can cover jello before it sets. Plastic wrap can be used to cover the top of your bowl. Just make sure that the plastic is not touching the surface of the jello or else it may stick when you attempt to unmold it. You can also try using aluminum foil or a lid for a bowl if one is available.
Ways to Customize Your Jello
Jello can be customized in a variety of ways to make it interesting and unique. To customize your jello mold, try adding fresh fruit or a layer of pudding for an extra creamy texture. You can also add mini marshmallows, sprinkles, nuts or other ingredients for some added crunch and sweetness. Just make sure to add these ingredients after the jello mix has been combined with boiling water, as this can help them remain suspended in the jello.
Is Eating Jello Good for You?
Eating jello can be a good way to get some vitamins and minerals into your diet, as it can often contain ingredients like gelatin and fruit juice . However, jello can also be high in sugar so it should be enjoyed in moderation. Make sure to check the ingredient label for added sugars when selecting your jello mix.
Making jello can be a fun and easy activity for all ages. To make jello mold, you can use either a plastic bowl or glass bowl. You can also add various ingredients like fresh fruit, mini marshmallows, nuts or sprinkles to customize your jello. Enjoy your homemade treat in moderation and make sure to check the ingredient label for added sugars.