Last Updated on December 7, 2022 by Lauren Beck
Have you ever wanted to make a delicious, crunchy fried fish dinner but didn’t want to take the time to thaw out frozen fillets? Is it possible to deep fry frozen fish?
The short answer is yes, you can deep fry frozen fish. While it can be a good shortcut if you’re in a hurry, bear in mind that it can take longer to cook and can change the texture of the fish.
When deep frying frozen fish, make sure that the oil is hot enough before adding the fillets. A temperature of 350 degrees Fahrenheit should be good for most types of fish. To figure out if you have reached this tempature, drop a small piece of bread into the oil and watch for it to brown. If you can hear a sizzle, then you know that the oil is hot enough.
When deep frying frozen fish, be sure to leave space between each piece in the pan so they can cook properly. Deep fry them on one side until they are golden brown before flipping and cooking on the other side. You can also put a lid over the pan to help them cook more quickly and evenly, but be sure to leave the lid slightly ajar so that the steam can escape.
How Long Does Deep Frying Frozen Fish Take?
Typically, it can take anywhere from 8-10 minutes to deep fry a single frozen fish fillet. However, this can vary depending on the thickness of the fish and the temperature of your oil.
How To Deep Fry Frozen Fish?
To deep fry frozen fish, you will need:
- Vegetable oil or canola oil
- Frozen fish fillets
- Salt and pepper for seasoning (optional)
- Tongs for flipping the fish
- Heat oil in a deep pot or skillet over medium heat until it reaches 350 degrees Fahrenheit
- Carefully add the frozen fish fillets, making sure to leave space between each piece
- Fry for 4-5 minutes on one side and then flip and fry for an additional 4-5 minutes until golden brown
- Remove from oil with tongs and transfer to a plate lined with paper towels to absorb any excess oil
- Season with salt and pepper if desired
- Serve immediately and enjoy!
How Do You Know When Your Deep-Fried Fish Are Done?
Here are a few ways to tell if your deep-fried fish are done
- The internal temperature of the fish should be 145 degrees Fahrenheit when measured with an instant read thermometer
- The outside of the fish should be golden brown and crispy
- When you flake the fish with a fork, it should flake easily
What If You Fry Frozen Fish For Too Long?
If you fry frozen fish for too long, it can become overcooked and dry. To prevent this, keep an eye on the clock and take the fish out of the oil when it is golden brown and crispy.
Is Breading Frozen Fish Possible?
Yes, you can bread frozen fish before deep frying. To do this, mix together a batter of flour, eggs and seasonings in a shallow dish. Dip the frozen fillets into the batter and then dredge them in a plate of seasoned breadcrumbs or panko crumbs. Carefully lower the battered fish fillets into hot oil and fry until golden brown.
How Much Time Does Cooking Frozen Fish in an Air Fryer Take?
Cooking frozen fish in an air fryer can take between 10-15 minutes depending on the thickness of the fillets. For best results, spray the fish lightly with oil and season with salt and pepper before cooking.
Ways of Cooking Fish Straight From Frozen
Here are a few different ways to cook fish straight from frozen:
- Air Fryer – Spray the fish lightly with oil and season before air frying for 10-15 minutes
- Baking – Grease a baking dish with olive oil, lay the fillets in the dish and bake for 25-30 minutes at 400 degrees Fahrenheit
- Poaching – Put the frozen fish in a pot of lightly simmering water, bring the temperature up to 180 degrees Fahrenheit and poach for 8-10 minutes
- Steaming – Place the fish in a steamer basket over boiling water, cover and steam for 10-12 minutes until cooked through
How Can I Make Frozen Fish Taste Better?
Frozen fish can often taste bland and dry, so it can be helpful to add a few extra ingredients to make it more flavorful . Try adding a bit of lemon juice or white wine before cooking, or top with a sauce made from butter, garlic, herbs and spices. You can also marinate the fish in olive oil, garlic and your favorite herbs and spices before cooking. This can help to keep the fish moist and add some extra flavor.
Deep frying frozen fish can be a quick and easy way to make a delicious meal. With the right ingredients, it can be done in just 8-10 minutes. Just remember to keep an eye on the clock to avoid overcooking. Breading can also add extra flavor and texture, and there are a variety of ways you can cook fish straight from frozen. To make your fish even more flavorful, try adding a few extra ingredients or a sauce before cooking. With just a bit of effort, you can have a delicious meal on the table in no time!