Last Updated on February 23, 2024 by Lauren Beck
Have you ever found yourself making a pizza only to realize that you’ve run out of pizza sauce? If you happen to have tomato sauce or pasta sauce available, you may be wondering if it can be used as a replacement. The answer is yes, pasta sauce can indeed be used as a substitute for pizza sauce.
Pasta sauce and pizza sauce are both made from tomatoes, so they have a similar flavor. However, pizza sauce is usually thinner and has less sugar than pasta sauce. If you use pasta sauce as pizza sauce, you may want to add a little water to thin it out and add some sugar to balance the flavors.
So if you’re in a pinch, go ahead and use pasta sauce as pizza sauce on your next pizza. Just be aware that it might not taste exactly the same as if you had used pizza sauce.
Main Difference Between Pizza Sauce and Pasta Sauce
There are a few key difference between pizza sauce and pasta sauce that you should be aware of before using one in place of the other.
- Ingredients: The ingredients in pizza sauce are usually just tomatoes, salt, and pepper. Some people also add a little garlic or oregano. Pasta sauce usually has more ingredients than pizza sauce including onions, garlic, herbs, and sometimes meat.
- Preparation: Pizza sauce is typically just crushed or puréed tomatoes that are simmered for a short time. Pasta sauce is usually cooked for longer and often has other ingredients like onions and garlic that are sautéed before being added to the sauce.
- Texture: Pizza sauce is usually thinner than pasta sauce since it’s meant to be spread on a pizza crust. Pasta sauce is thicker since it’s meant to coat pasta.
- Flavor: Pizza sauce is typically more flavorful than pasta sauce since it has less sugar and other ingredients that can dilute the flavor.
- Consistency: Pizza sauce is more watery than pasta sauce so it can easily be spread on a pizza crust. Pasta sauce is thicker and can be difficult to spread. It can also make the dough soggy.
How To Turn Pizza Sauce into Spaghetti Sauce?
If you want to use pizza sauce as spaghetti sauce, there are a few things you can do to give it more flavor.
- Add some onions and garlic and sauté them before adding them to the sauce.
- Add some herbs like basil or oregano.
- Add some meat like ground beef, sausage, or chicken.
- Simmer the sauce for a longer period of time to allow the flavors to develop.
How To Turn Spaghetti Sauce into Pizza Sauce?
If you want to use spaghetti sauce as pizza sauce, there are a few things you can do to thin it out and make it more flavorful.
- Add some water to thin out the sauce.
- Add some sugar to balance the flavors.
- Add some herbs like basil or oregano.
- Simmer the sauce for a shorter period of time.
How to Thicken Pasta Sauce for Using on Pizzas?
The best way to thicken pasta sauce for using on pizzas is to simmer it for a longer period of time. This will allow the water to evaporate and the sauce to reduce and thicken. You can also add some tomato paste to thicken the sauce.
How to Make Pasta Sauce with Pizza Sauce?
- 1 can (15 oz) tomato sauce
- 1 can (6 oz) tomato paste
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon dried basil leaves
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- In a large saucepan, combine all of the ingredients.
- Stir until the sugar is dissolved.
- Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring occasionally.
- Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Use as desired on pizzas or other dishes.
Are There Alternatives To Pizza Sauce?
If you can’t find pizza sauce or don’t have any on hand, there are a few other sauces  that you can use in its place.
- Ricotta Ricotta Cheese
- Barbecue Rub
- Dressing, Ranch
- Garlic and olive oil
- Sauce de Chili Sweet
- Chimichurri Dressing
- Glaze with Balsamic Vinegar
- Alfredo Pasta Sauce
- Sauce for Buffalo Wings
You can use pasta sauce as pizza sauce in a pinch. Just be aware that it might not taste exactly the same as if you had used pizza sauce. The main difference between pizza sauce and pasta sauce is the ingredients and preparation. Pizza sauce is typically just crushed or puréed tomatoes that are simmered for a short time while pasta sauce usually has more ingredients like onions and garlic that are sautéed before being added to the sauce. Pizza sauce is also usually more flavorful than pasta sauce since it has less sugar and other ingredients that can dilute the flavor.